installing a aftermarket rear ladder? anyone done it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 2016 keystone laredo fw.  i  am very particular about keeping my roof clean as well as my slide tops before i slide them in. (no toppers yet)  It came w/o a ladder on the back.  so it gets annoying pulling out the ladder.  my back wall is set up for a ladder, i have confirmed it with keystone.  I ordered a universal stromberg and carlson ladder.  anyone had any experience installing one of these.  I am pretty handy and just loking for some tips.  my buddy owns an rv shop and said they work, but can be a pain to put on.  any pictures you have would be awesome. 

Mike

When you talked to Keystone, did they show you exactly where the ladder should be mounted?  The ladder will be stronger and much more stable if there is wood blocking or structural framing behind where the horizontal standoffs attach to the rear wall instead of just screwing them into the rear skin.  Part of your weight will be supported by the roof attachment points, but there's substantial downward twisting force on the wall standoffs when you're on the ladder.

If the Keystone is an aluminum framed trailer, they may have even put wood blocking inside the aluminum framing where the ladder will attach for extra support.

After you confirm the ladder will have the proper support, the actual mounting is pretty straightforward.  Attach the wall standoffs to the ladder.  Hang the ladder from the roof and mark the roof mounting holes.  While holding the ladder in place, mark where the rear wall standoff screws will attach to the wall.

Drill pilot holes for the mounting screws and bolt the ladder in place from the roof down.  I like to coat screws going through the roof or wall with non-silicon caulking before screwing them in to provide a water seal.  Let the caulking ooze out past the screwhead, then wipe off the excess.

I have a factory installed ladder on my TT, but frankly I would never trust it to hold me or my wife, we are bigger people and the ladders is very light weight.  I carry a 12' Little Giant that I trust and at home I have LG 23' version. 

Life and mobility is to short and important to trust to a cheap after market ladder.  Little Giant Ladders are built to hold the weight and to be safe.

I will admit they are HEAVY and a PITA to move around and use, but you will never feel unsafe on one.

Just my .02 :) :)

all keystone could tell me is that the back wall on the left side was braced for the ladder.  they dont have any drawings or anything.  I talked to the dealer and they said thats all the info they would get too.  They were going to install a factory ladder at the dealer but since my trailer did not have one from the factory the warranty would not apply.  and they had to truck freight in the ladder which was more than the ladder and install...$200 just for shipping. 

You can always thru-bolt with backing plates and fill bolt holes with 5200 to make it water tight.

Then you know it's there for the duration.

You could go to dealers and look at other keystones and yank around on their ladders and have a good look see.

99% of the campground have big jumbo step ladders they will loan you as well as regular ladders.

I've borrowed from campgrounds before for emergency repairs and they had their maintenance guy bring the ladder out to me.

So there are alternatives.

In my younger days I was as professional ladder monkey (Roofing installer).

I have climbed the kind of ladder you lean against a structure more times than I care to talk about.. Very easy, In time it's kind of like going up stairs.  As I get older it is getting a bit harder, couple that with the fact that I'm actually an acrophobe (I overcame it roofing but it is creeping back) and well. I like a ladder that is easy to get on and off of.

I have also climbed several MOUNTED lasdders, like on RV's and inside/outsider some bulidings.. I seriously do not like this type of ladder.. Way harder to mount and dismount (At the top) harder to climb.

What I did on my RV

With one hand. I kid you not with one hand, I pulled the POS Factory ladder off

Installed a pair of "J" hooks made out of heavy gauge aluminum (Pick up step bumper metal) lagged into solid wood. two quarter inch lag bolts each, just oner is enough to hold my 300+ bouncing on the sturrip of a rope (Closer to the ground)

I hang a convertable STEP/Extension ladder I got from my Dad (Originally from Sears)  I'll be taking it down and using it this week as part of cleaning ther RV

I use it as a EXTENSION moping the roof
And as a STEP waxing the sides.

oldschoolhdmike said:
all keystone could tell me is that the back wall on the left side was braced for the ladder.  they dont have any drawings or anything.  I talked to the dealer and they said thats all the info they would get too.

If the rear wall is fiberglass, you can probably locate the blocking or structural members under the skin with a stud finder.

DearMissMermaid said:
You could go to dealers and look at other keystones and yank around on their ladders and have a good look see.

So there are alternatives.

That there is good advice.  :))

I'd try the stud finder.  The support is likely horizontal, so scan both up and down as well as side to side.  It either works or not.  If you do not try, it will not work.

most of the other keystones have the ladder mounted on the right side,. having a hard time finding my model anywhere on the web with a left mounted ladder.  it is just stupid that they sale any without a ladder if it has a walk on roof. according to keystone mine is supported on the left side.  I have looked at all the models to get an idea of where the stand offs are.  and i am going to try and use a stud finder....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom