Flat tow vehicle for 32? Class C E450

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leonel

I?m hoping I can please get some advice about flat tows. I keep getting mix stories on it. I have a 2017 32? Class C E450 ford chassis rv. Can someone please tell me if a 2018 Cherokee trailhawk (curb weight=4100, gvwr=5500) can be towed behind my class c rv?

Check here for some guidance. You can alter the specs to match your Cherokee

According to Remco 4 wheel drive can be towed. Front wheel drive must be on a trailer.

However another part of the equation is your receiver hitch weight rating. There should be a label on it somewhere stating it's weight capability.

And then you need to find out what your GVCW rating is for your RV.

Thank you for the quick response. Rv GVWR=14,500, the hitch capacity=5000, tongue weight=350. I was hoping to get a flat tow out of the cherokee. Does anyone know why that on motorhome.com towable dingy guide, they show the curb weight instead of the gvwr. This is where I get confuse, I would of thought they would of show the gvwr instead. Or is there something I don?t know about the importance on curb weight for towing?

Notice on my signature I list the actual weight of my toad. That is with a full tank of gas and that is the actual weight I am towing which is within my motorhome's towing rated capacity. That is what I'm interested in....the actual weight, not the Gross vehicle weight rating.

So you need to actually weigh your Jeep loaded the way it will be towed including a full tank of gas.

Is your Jeep AWD or 4 wheel drive?

Did you go to the link for Remco and enter your Jeep information and, if so, is it towable 4 down?

Arch Hoagland said:
Notice on my signature I list the actual weight of my toad. That is with a full tank of gas and that is the actual weight I am towing which is within my motorhome's towing rated capacity. That is what I'm interested in....the actual weight, not the Gross vehicle weight rating.

So you need to actually weigh your Jeep loaded the way it will be towed including a full tank of gas.

Have you weighed your RV completely loaded with all tanks full?  Subtract that weight from your 14,500lb rating and then you'll know how much weight you can pull.

Is your Jeep AWD or 4 wheel drive?

Did you go to the link for Remco and enter your Jeep information and, if so, is it towable 4 down?

I have a 2017 32? Class C E450 ford chassis rv. Can someone please tell me if a 2018 Cherokee trailhawk (curb weight=4100, gvwr=5500) can be towed behind my class c rv?

You need to investigate two things on the coach and a third on the Trailhawk itself:

1. The coach GCWR must be adequate for the combined weight of the loaded coach and the towed car.  The 2017 E450 motorhome chassis is rated for 22,000 lbs GCWR, so can handle up to 7500 lbs of towed vehicle (22,000 - 14,500 = 7,500)

2. The hitch receiver on the back of the coach must be rated at least as high as the loaded weight of the towed car. Check your motorhome brand brochure or read the label on the receiver. Must be at least 5000 lbs for the Trailhawk (don't load the Trailhawk to the 5500 max). Most late model Class C's have a 5000 lb receiver, but verify that.

3. Trailhawk:  Jeep says "Only 4WD models with two-speed Power Transfer Unit may be towed".  As I understand it, if you have either the Active Drive  II or Active Drive Lock 4x4 system, it is flat-towable.  From what I see, the vanilla Active Drive I system (part time 4WD) is NOT towable.  Check your owner manual - most have a section titled "recreational towing" - or consult a Jeep dealer if you are not sure what you have.  For info on Trailhawk towing, see https://www.jeep.com/cherokee/capability.html

You won't have problems with the weight of a Cherokee.  However, you may have problems depending what transmission yours have.  Most Cherokees can be flat towed, I know my wife has one.  Only on with the specific transmission can do it.  Otherwise, you need a dolly, which is how we do it.

Sorry for writing

"Most Cherokees can be flat towed, I know my wife has one."

It should be "Most Cherokees cannot be flat towed...."

Back
Top Bottom