Powerwall Battery Practicality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butchiiii

Hello all,
Has anyone explored the possibility of using the Tesla powerwall battery for the battery
bank in your RV for storage of the energy generated by your solar install? If so what
were the conclusions.
Thanks for the help.

Howdy,

I did entertain the idea for a little while, about 2 years ago. At that time at least, if memory serves the main obstacles were:

1) the voltage was not appropriate for RV use;
2) it had to be installed by a Tesla installer, and I didn't think it would be easy to convince him/her to install it on an RV as they were sold for stationary applications.

Things might have changed, tho.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

I have seen a lot of schemes.. The Powerwall battery is not unique, you can get the same "Technology" in sizes more proper for RV use.. Alas I do not have the details however. I do not have a lot of Cargo Capacity on this Gasser so have not done as much research as I should.. IF the Prize patrol ever knocks, and I upgrade to something with more CCC,,, My level of knowledge on this stuff is going to take off like an space shot.. But till then I skirt the edges, not in depth.

Thanks guys for your input. I was curious because the battery only weighs about 296lbs but
stores 14kw of power. I think I'll do some more research. Prices should come down in 5 years
when I upgrade to my 5th wheel. I'll share info when I get more answers for anyone interested.
Thanks

Howdy,

butchiiii said:
Thanks guys for your input. I was curious because the battery only weighs about 296lbs but
stores 14kw of power.

You are welcome. And lithium is a really lightweight metal (less than 4 times the same weight than aluminum), specially when compared with lead that comes in traditional batteries. A more useful comparison is volume occupied, which from my research I understand is about the same.

I think I'll do some more research. Prices should come down in 5 years
when I upgrade to my 5th wheel. I'll sure info when I get more answers for anyone interested.

Thanks! Post them here or in a new topic, I for one am always interested in these matters.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

butchiiii said:
stores 14kw of power. I think I'll do some more research. Prices should come down in 5 years
when I upgrade to my 5th wheel. I'll sure info when I get more answers for anyone interested.
Thanks

In 5 years the prices should come down a lot.  I suspect we will see an emerging market of inexpensive Powerwall style batteries made from old Tesla car battery packs starting in a couple more years. 

Lithium batteries degrade over time, and Tesla consider their car batteries ready for replacement when they reach 80% of their original capacity.

The degradation is linear, so a battery that is replaced when it degrades to 80% capacity after 100,000 miles of heavy use still has plenty of useful life left in lighter duty service.

The original 10 kw Powerwall was a nickel-cobalt-manganese chemistry battery, but it never went beyond prototype.  The  6 kw Powerwall and the 14 kw Powerwall II are Lithium-ion and you can get LI batteries right now and in packages more suitable to RV size & layout.  Neither is a unique battery chemistry and Tesla is NOT the manufacturer of the actual power cells - they just package cells from Panasonic.

I might add, Nearly all LI batteries are MADE IN CHINA.. Reason: Only two areas where LI is mined, China and a country which .. Well I won't tell you what they EXPORT to the USA, but it's not LI.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom