Route 212 SD to Billings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pappi49

Has anyone taken this route to Billings Mt from Belle Fourche SD. Looks to be about 75 to 100 miles shorter than taking I90.

I would rather take this route as opposed to taking the interstate, but I am not sure if this would be an easier route or not. I am not to concerned with the amount of time it may take as opposed to I90, just looking for a more scenic route. As long as I can be in Billings for a reserved site that would be fine. Looking at ease of route and services. Since this is our first extended trip of any kind I am probably overthinking a lot of it but would rather be sure. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

We are from Billings and have gone both ways to SD.  Speed limit is slower on 212.  There are still plenty of Semi's and actually quite a few accidents on 212.  It is a little more scenic, but pulling a trailer or in a MH - I would stick to the Interstate due to the number of accidents and trucks on 212.

Been both ways to Billings from Sturgis both ways several times, on motorcycles. I have pretty much settled on I-90. Services are better, people who prefer to go faster can go around us, and scenery not a whole lot different. I actually can see more on the interstate because it is a more relaxing drive as already stated. Lots of truck traffic on 212 and they are trying to make some money and not too worried about me wanting to sightsee. ?

Thanks for all the advice. May have to re-think my route as I didn't think that traffic on 212 would be that bad. Most of my days have been planned as under or about 275 miles per day due to docs orders to stop every couple of hrs.

Since taking the interstate to Billings is about 325 miles I may have to plan to stop a little earlier and stay around 275. I know it doe not seem like much to those of you that have been doing this for awhile but this is our first trip of this length and I just want to be sure I do not over extend myself. On my last trip I probably never went of 60 so this also will come into play.

Again I appreciate all the advice and if anyone else would like to chime in it would be appreciated.

We live in Montana and take oir RV to go see family in IA & KS at least once a year. While other's comments are not wrong, given your restriction and distance need,  I want to encourage you to go ahead and take the shorter route. It is my preferred way although once I was sorry a few years ago when the road was under construction and there were miles of gravel. Never had excessive big rig or other traffic issues. Be sure your tank is full before heading out.

Try to leave Belle Fouche around 5:AM if you are going west.  The sun will be coming up behind you as you go.  Keep your eyes on the hill side on both sides as the sun comes up.

You will start to see 100s of deer and antelope and maybe some elk too.  We did this by accident on our way from Iowa to Seattle one trip and it was spectacular.

This is not a good road to run in the dark as all the deer seem to want to wander around on it in the dark.

Well, I guess I will have to do a bit more planning than I thought. Really wanted to take 212, but will have to see. As far as getting up and leaving at 5AM 8) 8), that is not going to happen. We are spending the week prior at Sturgis bike week so I don't see that as a viable plan. Wife and I are usually on the road about 9 or 10  and try to drive till about 4 or so. I realize that is 7 hrs., but with the stopping we do it is about right where I need to be as far as miles per day. One of the benefits of retirement.

As far as fuel goes, the Conoco station in Broadus appears to be an easy in and out for a truck pulling a 30 ft. trailer. Broadus appears to be about midway between Spearfish(108 miles) and Billings(167 miles). Truck got about 10 mpg going to Florida from Kentucky so I figure about 8.5 to 9 mpg out west. 36 gallon tank so that helps a lot.

Well, keep all the help coming. It is really appreciated.Thanks to all that have chimed in.

Back
Top Bottom