2014 Crossroads Sunset Trail frontal section completely ruined

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martin2340

I purchased a new Crossroads Sunset Trail 32RL in 2014 and the front of the TT looks awful. The fiberglass has completely faded. The decals are now completely peeling and Crossroads, when called, basically said "oh well" it is out of warranty. I spoke to a Crossroads dealer at the Oaks RV Show and he said they are all doing that and have now changed the way they design it. He also said that I would probably not get any help from them.
Is there a way to go after them or file a complaint. It appears the only way to rectify this is have it stripped down and painted professionally.
Any one have any thoughts or Crossroads owners with the same situation and how did you handle it?
Joe

Maybe try finishing the removal of the decals, then try going over it with color-back or something similar. Before trying to strip and paint, find out exactly what the material is. I've seen people treat a plastic golf cart body like fiberglass, and the results weren't pretty.

Once you are out of warrantee there is not much you can do. Some units fade others do not. Of course a summer in Phoenix is not the same as summer in Indianapolis .

One has to think 4 years is a pretty short time interval however.

You are likely wasting your time chasing Crossroads.  Finish peeling the decals, get the front painted and  Gel Coated.  Apply the big, beautiful decal of your choice.

RGP said:
One has to think 4 years is a pretty short time interval however.
It started fading in year 2 but has gotten significantly worse this winter. I'll have to do what Grashley stated, peel, paint, and Gel Coat. I tried all of the color-back and just about everything I have read on this forum about bringing it back to life and it just looks worse in the spots where I tried. The rest of the TT is in perfect shape. :mad:

I have owned various TT and 5vers, and the experience with decals has been similar to yours.  Unfortunately, manufacturers are mostly concerned with looking good til the warranty is over. Then the responsibility transfers to the owner.

Full body paint would hold up much better, but would also add a pretty good chunk to the sales price of a unit. I think I too would have it sanded and repainted, even if it was just white. That would probably be the least expensive.

Rv Decals are usually crap they pick the cheapest material they can find then print using crappy inks and never laminate them any good vehicle/ truck graphics place can reproduce or make up something new
As for the paint try nufinish car wax and an a orbital or power polisher. But i know that there was a ton of front caps that faded due to bad paint in 2014 /15 but its been 4 yrs sorry your on your own. Boats often fade early if the nu finish doesnt work ( yes the stuff in the orange bottle from the 70s which is still rated as one of the top 5 car waxes ) try a boat dealer for fiberglass restorer.

Kinda off topic, but can Nu-Finish be used on decals? Does one have to stay away from black rubber trim?

kdbgoat said:
Kinda off topic, but can Nu-Finish be used on decals? Does one have to stay away from black rubber trim?

I use it on mine never an issue and i use an obital buffer on the trailer so it doesnt get too hot and melt the crappy decals but i use a proper powerpolisher on all the cars and the truck

I tried everything I could think of and suggestions from the forum including Nu-finish, fiberglass boat wax and restorer and a light polishing compound all to no avail. Looks like paint or like Koodog stated a cool wrap. Looks like sanding will be the only way to get the decal off as I tried peeling, scraping, and heating with a heat gun.

the nosecone cap on my class c has done the same thing..... my decals are so-so, but the cap itself is faded bad.  Apparently a bad Thor problem too, from reading on the Thor forum.  Is Crossroads a Thor product?

I tried buffing, and compound, and waxing, and waxing, and buffing.... did no good really.
but when I did the scrub with barkeeper's Friend followed by several coats of acrylic floor polish it actually looked pretty good.  Not like new I guess, but nearly so.  I was really surprised how good it looked.  Lasted a good long while too...but I didn't keep up with re-applications so it didn't last forever.  If I can ever get to it I plan to do it again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom