Newbie question just to show off my ignorance. 2009 Sunova brake noise on start.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dable212

It's a new-to-me 2009 Itasca Sunova on a Ford chassis. There is a compressor-like sounding noise when I put my foot on the brake before starting the engine. But it immediately stops after the engine (a Triton V-10) starts and does not happen again after it's running. It's quite loud and I will eventually try to locate the source of the noise, but was simply wondering if there a answer to this? I'll readily confess ignorance and don't know if this is operationally correct or if there is something that requires service.

Thanks in advance for any info that would let me know either way.

Someone else can confirm but pretty sure it's your power booster for your brakes if you lost your engine power.  My 2016 Canyon Star did the same thing.  Almost made me pee my pants when I accidentally stepped on the brake pedal when the engine was off.  :eek:

^^ Yup, probably a vacuum pump ^^

As an aside, diesel engines don't produce a vacuum so there's a vacuum pump running all of the time to power the dash air blend doors and the brake booster in vehicles without air brakes.

There is an auxiliary brake booster that operates if engine power isn't available to operate the power brakes. It's a safety thing, so you can stop the coach if the engine quits  on a long downgrade or at highway speeds.  The sound isn't usually real loud, though most would probably be aware of it.  If it is "loud", maybe you should have it checked out at a Ford dealer.

The sound isn't usually real loud, though most would probably be aware of it.

It probably wasn't the sound that startled me so much as the pulsing that has a tendency to feel a bit like an electric shock if you're not expecting it....similar to the "feedback" you get from some anti-lock braking systems.

I'm not familiar with the Ford chassis booster, but the equivalent on a Workhorse chassis didn't pulse and was barely above a hum.

Does it pulse whenever you press the brake (engine off), or just once in awhile?  If always, it seems a bit odd to me.

Thanks to all for the answers and ideas. I think the next best thing to do is to demonstrate the "issue" with a quick video. Right now we have our rig in the covered storage lot, since it's expected to start raining pretty hard here in the next few hours. I'll get something posted ASAP.

Hi Dabble212.  Your 2009 sounds a little like my 2007.  I take it that you have not had this unit all that long.  Do you know if Orig Owner had an Air Horn installed??  We had after market air horn installed and the compressor sounds like that when we start up after a long sit.  JM2?  ~~ YMMV

Back
Top Bottom