Anyone use surge protector on their generator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dooger54

I just ordered a portable 30amp Progressive Industries surge protector to protect my RV when hooked up to shore power.  Is there any reason I should use this when using my generator while boondocking?

Probably no good reason, but if you feel the need for the ultimate in power protection, there is no reason not to.

Your generator is under your control, presumably is wired correctly and running right, and is [usually] not shared with other RVs that could cause power problems.  It's a pretty safe bet as a power source, but not quite foolproof.

When I was hooking up my Progressive Industries monitor i felt like I should hook it up after teh transfer switch to protect from both shore power and from genny malfunctions.
Talked to the progressive industries folks.  i don't remember their reasoning now, but they talked me out of it.  I figured they should know....

If you're running an inverter generator, all the newer ones have a very clean, computer circuit controlled output. Probably as good as what gets "filtered" through the EMS. And the EMS sometimes detects a problem, like an open ground, with generators. So the hardwired Progressive ones have a switch that deactivates / bypasses the EMS when running on generator power.

I have a manual plug in type of EMS, so I just don't use it when I am running on a generator.

I have a progressive industries power monitor/surge suppressor as well and I do use it with my dual EU2000i generators. Probably overkill but I have seen some dirty power when a generator stops or starts and this gives me some extra protection plus I can see exactly how many amps I am drawing from the generators.

My [former] '04 American Tradition fed both genset and shore through the factory-standard surge-protector. It was built into the ATS, so full protection applied to either source.  I'm pretty sure the Surge Guard 40350 works that was as well.

I installed the 50A progressive EMS in my Toy Hauler and I connected it on the load side of the ATS..  So, in answer to your question the progressive protects everything in the trailer, whether being fed from shore power OR generator power.  Progressive even has instructions on their web site on how to do this.  My generator is not an inverter style genny...it's the Onan 5500W that is an onboard generator.

The thing to keep in mind though, with the EMS installed where I did, your incoming lines AND the EMS are both upstream of the protection...which means that in the case of a surge in the power system and/or a lightning strike that follows the shore power all the way to the trailer, most likely the ATS will become the sacrificial piece of equipment.  To me, that makes more sense, as the ATS is cheaper to replace than almost any component in the trailer

The better quality generators don't start producing power until the genset is up to speed and able to reliably supply it.  That's fairly easy to do with an inverter-type genset. And modern gensets with digital control/management usually detect power malfunctions and shut down before any damage can occur (built-in power diagnostics).  Most Onans and Kohlers of the last 10-15 years do that sort of thing, but I don't think you can rely on the low-priced portables for it.

Note that if you use a good surge protector/monitor with a portable genset, you will almost sure have to add an external ground rod or tie the ground and neutral together because the surge protector will detect an open ground without that.

Those using the Progressive Industries EMS devices and having issues, may want to watch the attached. Credit goes to Solarman (another user) and love your RV.com blog.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/single-post/2015/09/10/Testing-a-Generator-for-a-Floating-Neutral

Most portable generators have what would be called "Floating neutrals" actually unless it is a 240 volt generator there is no neutral.. The Ground however is NOT CONNECTED.

Floating neutral  only applies on split phase like 120/240 volt. no ground is what the genny has.

It is very simply NOT CONNECTED.. Why?

THe function of the safety ground is as follows.
Imagine a metal cased SKILL hand grinder.. Why that product.. I held one in my hand
Imagine a hot to case short.. Yup. it had that.
Imagine no safety ground.. Busted more grinding tips because of my natural reaction to being shocked.

I finally got a plastic cased DREMEL that worked fine.

Had the safety ground been in place... The circuit breaker would have tripped instead of me breaking the grinding tip..

It is there because the power mains .. Neutral **IS** Grounded (earth ground)  This goes back to the days when often they ran just one wire from pole to house. YES ONE WIRE and the "Neutral" Return WAS the Earth.. Still some of those systems exist I'm told.

With the portable Generator there is no earth ground Zip, None, Nada Unless you add one. and thus there is no need for the safety as you are "Double Insulated"  (Double insulated tools do not have the 3rd prong).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom