What is the farthest you have traveled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peggyy

When you take off on a trip, just curious how far do you normally go?  Do you go a couple of hours for a weekend, or 500 miles for a week trip, etc.

our longest was approx 5,200 miles round trip last summer.

We are 'weekenders' mostly, with full time jobs and kids, caught up in the matrix...our typical outing will be something on the order of 300-400 miles on average, round trip.....

NY_Dutch said:
Since we live in our motorhome and move around pretty often, how do we tell when a trip ends?  ;)

When you hear dirt hitting the top of the casket.

Our trips vary from 300 miles to about 5,000 miles.

Our 6 month trips with the TT started in 2016. We drove just over 20K in the truck and 5.5K of those with TT. Last year we did around 16K in truck and 5K of those was with TT attached.

Prior to that we would do 3 week car road trips and do around 3.5K.

Two months and 7,000 miles last spring.  Wife's ex and his lady-friend came over from Germany and stayed in our house while we were gone.

We did a 15,000 mile round trip from NC to Alaska in four months in a 19 foot travel trailer.
We had our two sea kayaks on the truck roof and our two mountain bikes as well as back packing gear.
it was the best trip we have taken in our lives.
We now snow bird in the Florida Keys, and it is a 1000 miles each way

jack L

It took me 8 years fulltiming alone to do about 40,000 miles but I was busy soaking up nature rather than soaking up highways.

Camping in far flung places and having plenty of time to explore was my priority. Because I loved a certain spot on the east coast, I didn't want to be so far from the ocean.

We've done weekends. We've done 1-2 week trips. Last year we did a 7 week, 8500 mile trip across the US and back. No real "normal" for us. Just whatever sounds fun. Note, we are retired so that offers way more possibilities than when we were workin' stiffs.

Peggyy said:
When you take off on a trip, just curious how far do you normally go?  Do you go a couple of hours for a weekend, or 500 miles for a week trip, etc.
I'm not sure what information you are looking for.

How far we traveled over the years depended on when in our lives the travel occurred. 

After marriage and before the kids came along, trips were usually 1000 to 6000 miles, camping trips.

When the kids were small, infants to teenagers, many of our camping trips were 200 mile round trips for weekends or a weeks stay.  A very few times we took extended vacations, 4 weeks one time & 7 weeks another time.  Those trips ranged from 3500 miles to 6000 miles.  Other years it was 2 to 3 week vacations and 2000 to 3000 miles. 

After the kids were out of the house and we were still working, the trips ranged from 200 miles to 6000 miles .

After retirement, trips tended to be much farther and longer in duration.  One trip was 6 months and about 8000 miles from Texas to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland/Labrador in Canada.  In 2016 it was 9 months from Texas to Oregon to visit family in spring, then to Alaska in late spring to after Labor Day.  Back to Oregon for family, then north Texas for family and finally back to San Antonio in early November. 

In Jan/Feb this year we took a 7 week trip to southern AZ & CA, about 3500 miles including a wonderful week in Zion NP in early Feb. 

Other trips are to visit daughter in the Dallas area for Thanksgiving and Christmas each year.

So travel always depended on time available and where we wanted to go and what we wanted to do. 

Some of our trips are 10 miles. State Park, 5 miles down the road. Took 1300 mile round trip last fall for oldest Grandson's graduation at Parris Island. I'm still a working stiff, so we are kinda limited. Once I retire, we will buy a modest place for home base, then travel at will.

Since we're both still working full-time, we need to minimize travel time and maximize leisure time. We try to get out at least two weekends per month, and tend to stay within 3 hours from home. For a long weekend, we'll stretch that to 5 or 6 hours.

We spend a week each Spring in our favorite COE park, and another week each Fall at the beach. That leaves us two weeks for a "big" trip, which we try to keep under 1,500 miles one-way. We'll push hard on driving hours there and back, as to not waste days on the road.

Really looking forward to retirement.

We're still working stiffs so only take off for weekends and week long trips, much more than a week off at a time are hard to get away from work.  The furthest we have taken trips away from home are last year when we had the coach painted in Indiana which was about 1500 miles one way and the year before when we attended an rvforum rally in south Texas which was about 1600 miles one way.  For our weekend getaways we generally try to keep them around 250~ish miles one way from home.

Definitely looking forward to long trips but we're still working for another 10 years.

Mike

We, too, are still working, so it's tough to get out for more than a week or so, and many times it's just for a weekend.  We go as close as a 50-60 mile round trip, and as far as about 1600 miles round trip. 

Last year was our first with our rig, and we put about 5000 miles on the odo.  'Twas glorious, and we're sure looking forward to this season!

More working stiffs here. :)

Every year we start the camping season at a campground 10 miles south of us and end it at a campground 5 miles north. Our other weekend trips are mostly within about 3 hours of home here in Upstate NY but we have managed a few longer trips over the years.
  • 2 weeks up to Bar Harbor, ME
  • 2 weeks down to Myrtle Beach, SC and
  • 3 weeks out to Yellowstone (6,200 miles)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom