What is the farthest you have traveled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our longest was from West Melbourne, Florida to Fairbanks, Alaska which was a little over 18,000 miles round trip. Our shortest is about 39 miles round trip for one of our monthly weekend campouts. For summer we now usually travel about 3 to 4 thousand miles round trip. Our trips will be getting quite a bit shorter in the next couple of years... getting too old.

Depends. During the summer I often shuttle bertween two parks, asbout 60 miles. in the winter likewise 20 miles. in between 800 miles. but back when I was based in Detroit I visited both the Atlantic (Cape cod) and Pacific (Los Angles) oceans

And before I got into RVing I made a car trip. Battle Creek to Disney World.
I took the senic route.. via Newington CT)  I've also made trips to other areas.

We've been retired for a number of years, but we've not (so far) taken a trip longer than a month, or so. Distance ranges from about 20 miles (rare) to 2000+ (one way), and times range from a long weekend to just short of a month. Where and when varies, but (from Denver) we've been to northern Oregon, then through Washington and Montana to Banff. We've gone to Maryland to see our oldest. We've been in southern Texas, southwestern Arizona and much more.

That said, we've also been to various Colorado state parks, some as close as 20 miles, some as far as 300+ miles.

To put it another way, we travel whatever it takes to get where we want to go at the time, sometimes changing our plans mid-trip, rarely with any plan locked in stone.

Our annual trip to Roseburg, OR from Las Vegas, NV is our longest journey, approximately 950 miles (one way). Although this year we could stretch that to approximately 1,100 miles (one way) when we travel up to Rapid City, SD.

Love hearing these stories!  Some of you have really put in the miles!  We are about to go on our longest trip which will be about 5000 miles total.  Usually we try to stay within four hour drive from home.

When we both still worked, we tried for one or two weekends a month during the non-freezing weather, and it generally was less than 100 miles away. Three or four day weekends, maybe 200 miles away. For our annual two week trip we generally headed from Iowa to Colorado or New Mexico, seeing multiple sites during the time. One two week trip was a big driving circle of well over 5000 miles, and we said we?d never do that again! Now retired, we plan our trips by time rather than miles. Utah to Iowa to Minnesota to Missouri and back to Utah was last September-October trip. We stayed home for about two weeks then left again for California and Arizona for 5 weeks. Five weeks is about all I can take in the trailer we have now. We hope to take longer duration trips in the new motorhome (crossing fingers).

2013, Kansas City to Alaska and back. 4 months & 15,000 miles. December to April, KC to desert SW, aprox. 4,000 miles each year. Short trips once a month in the summer. Aprox. 4-500 miles.

When I was growing up in the 1960s, my parents used to load the family into our station wagon (early Class B?) on a Friday night and drive non-stop from San Francisco to Elizabeth, NJ in just under 3 days.

We'd spend 3 days visiting my grandparents and my Mom's family, then spend a day driving up to New Hampshire to visit my father's relatives there.

After that 3 day visit, we'd drive nonstop from Manchester, NH back to San Francisco.  Then my Dad would have Sunday to recover before heading back to work on Monday.

6,300 miles in just under two weeks.

Now I consider 500 miles in a week a lot of driving.

2,300 miles round trip in a week...pales in comparison to some of the others here though.

At the end of April we'll have put 8,800 miles on our 2018 we took possession of on July 1, 2017.  Not bad for a couple of folks who still work 50+ hours per week  :-\

Hopefully we're parked more when we retire.

Our weekend trips are usually for ATV riding and we don't need to venture more than an hour from the house for that.  For extended family trips, it helps that we are somewhat centrally located in the U.S. We will be traveling to Austin, TX and Virginia Beach this summer. The Texas trip is about 1,800 miles round trip and Virginia Beach is roughly double that at 3,600 miles round trip.

From the San Francisco area, our first trip in 1972 was circumnavigating the USA - north to BC, east to Maine & Maritimes, south to Key West and west to home.  Twice to Newfoundland, twice to Alaska, numerous times across the country and back in a big loop because all our family lives back there.  Many trips have been between 10,000-15,000 miles, including that first one which was about 14,000+.  We were lucky to be able to get large blocks of time even when working so could take a couple of months at a time.

ArdraF

Ok So when you take a really long trip do you hit the ground running and drive drive drive every day until you get there or do you drive and then stop a few days to rest and then drive etc.

Peggyy said:
Ok So when you take a really long trip do you hit the ground running and drive drive drive every day until you get there or do you drive and then stop a few days to rest and then drive etc.

We travel anywhere between 50 miles a day up to about 250-300 a day.  Have done 500 a day trips once from California to Florida and won't do it again. 

We retired in 2009 and our trips vary from 500 miles on up.  Our longest trip was four and a half months to Alaska in 2010.  We put 18,000 miles on the truck and 12000 miles on the TT.  I keep a running log of the miles we pull the trailer.  Our house to Homer, AK is very close to 5000 miles if we took the shortest route, which we didn't.

Peggyy said:

I suppose it depends on the trip. Last year's long trip was to go to a niece's wedding in W Va so we kind of had a bit of a drop dead date to get back there from OR. We made a self imposed limit of 400 mi/day so we could have time to sightsee a little bit during each day's drive, but mostly it was head down to get there. On the way back we did spend more time here and there stopping along the way for longer periods of time since we were in no hurry to get home.

Unless we have to be somewhere by a specific date, we usually follow our whims and stop any place that seems interesting or less than 250-350 miles.  When we leave the campground in the morning we sometimes get to the exit and say "Which way? Right or left?"  On that first trip in 1972 we basically knew that we wanted to go around the country but didn't really have a plan (which is why we had so many maps - no GPS back then).  We had family events that changed a few of our legs, such as a sister who moved and we wanted to see her old house/town before she left there, and parents who moved to a new state and we arrived at their new home the day before they arrived so we were there to greet them.  The end of the trip also changed because I got a job offer and we rushed home so Jerry could fulfill his teaching quarter and sell the house while I went to my new job and started looking for a new place to live.  We're not much for planning a lot and then cancelling reservations because things happen!

ArdraF

Peggyy said:
It depends.  :)

When we went on vacations, we drove 10-11 hours a day to get to the area we wanted to visit.  Once there we stayed for a few to several days in one spot.  If/when we moved the travel would be more like a 1-5 hour drive and then stay for another few to several days.  What we did NOT do, was to travel in AM, sight see in afternoon, camp for the night and do it all over the next day.

Now being retired, when going across country, we will drive the RV for 7-9 hours a day, stay a Walmart or Passport America 1/2 price RV Park, highway rest stop or picnic area and do this travel for 2-3 days then stop for 2-3 days.  Once we get to the area we want to visit it is back to the stay for several days to a week and the 1-5 hour travel to another place to explore. 

So far the longest RV trip I drove was 665 miles up to Washington, DC from Atlanta, GA.

Most of my trips I just go about 300 miles down to Panama City Beach,FL, or 275 miles over to Savannah, GA.

The really long trips will have to wait until I retire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom