Safe T Plus Steering Control for Diesel MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

majicchuck

On my previous gas coach, I had the Safety T installed. It made a world of difference in the handling and turned a "white knuckles drive" into a a relatively calm ride. I no longer felt the tractor trailers when they passed by. Was interested in knowing whether others felt that a Safety T was necessary for a diesel. No issues on my current 05 Fleetwood Bounder 38N. However, did notice for the first time that strong crosswinds (20mph) made it somewhat uncomfortable. I realize that high winds affect high profile vehicles much differently. Any thoughts?

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Most DPs handle well enough that none is needed.  You can't totally control crosswinds, no matter what the rig is or its equipment.

Okay. That was my thinking. Thanks Gary.

I have to disagree with Gary. We have a 45' Monaco Signature. I will admit that the coach handed very nicely before I installed the Safe-T-Plus with Henderson's Trim adjust. After the install I did notice a marked improvement in handling on crowned roads and in cross winds. It eliminates the counter pressure you must maintain in these conditions. I have talked to an owner of the same coach who had a front blowout and he swore the the STP helped him to keep it totally in control and was able to bring the coach to a safe stop along side the road.

I'm happy I spent the money for STP and certainly would do it again if we change coaches.

I'll grant that the Henderson Trim Unit is a plus in crosswinds, but without that I don't think the STP does much. I had the vanilla STP installed on a coach years ago and was unimpressed, but "your mileage may vary".

As for assisting with that guy's blow-out, how would he know? 

LOL, Chet. That's not exactly scientific or engineering proof.  I've experienced a flat tire myself and didn't go off the road or roll. Wonder if he would have thanked me too?

I personally think the risk of a tire blow-out causing loss of control is vastly overstated in the media, not to mention the ads from companions selling steering gadgets.  Not zero, of course, but not a guaranteed disaster either.  But those who think otherwise should probably have an STP and the Tyron bands too.

More importantly
, though, they should study the blow-out safety advice from Michelin, Travelers Insurance, Allstate Insurance, and similar respected sources.

https://blog.allstate.com/how-to-safely-handle-a-tire-blowout/
https://www.travelers.com/resources/auto/safe-driving/how-to-handle-a-tire-blowout
https://www.michelinrvtires.com/tires/tires-101/tire-maintenance-and-safety/how-to-handle-a-blowout/

Back
Top Bottom