Who drives the OLDEST Class A here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Trying to convince the better half that if we end going the used route with a Class A that we need not restrict our searches to "new used"-- just 2 or 3 years old. If RVs are anything like cars some of the best cars I've owned were purchased 5-6 years old.

Perhaps hearing testimonials from some here who own and still operate their senior RV would help support my thinking here. Of course if everyone agrees with HER-- then never mind-- I'll not mention this topic to her.  ;D  ;)

I currently drive an 18 year old diesel pusher.  It has some warts and things break, but that happens with any RV, even 2-3 year old ones.  As far as engine and chassis goes, no problems at all.  If I had shopped "new used" when I bought it 5 years ago, I would have only been able to afford a really basic class C for what I paid for it.  (not that there's anything wrong with that)  We probably will upgrade sometime in the next few years.  The one feature I wish it had was either 3 or 4 slides instead of 2.  I.e., slides on both sides of the living room.

As a side note, my brother has a 1977 (40 year old) GMC motorhome.  It has been immaculately restored and those are sort of a different cult subset like vintage Airstreams.

Not a Class A, but I just did 8 years 24/7 in a 1994 Class C and had an absolute blast. Sold it for $500 less than I paid for it 8 years ago, so all that maintenance work I kept up with apparently kept the value better than I thought possible. Amazing!

Now I am living in a 1992 5th wheel that has outstanding features not found in newer 5th wheels.

I grew up on hand me downs, I guess it was good training.

One reason I buy old then maintain,upgrade and customize to my preferences is that I LOVE that paid for smell!

Nothing beats living debt free, having more time and less stress and end the end a lot more money because it isn't sucked away on interest payments.

DearMissMermaid said:
Not a Class A, but I just did 8 years 24/7 in a 1994 Class C and had an absolute blast. Sold it for $500 less than I paid for it 8 years ago, so all that maintenance work I kept up with apparently kept the value better than I thought possible. Amazing!

Now I am living in a 1992 5th wheel that has outstanding features not found in newer 5th wheels.

I think that's a good point in that many assume that newer must be better but I can think of a number of cases where newer does not compare favorably with the same model but an older vintage.

DearMissMermaid said:
One reason I buy old then maintain,upgrade and customize to my preferences is that I LOVE that paid for smell!

I think that would be a great slogan for a sign or tee shirt!  :))

20 year old D/P and does everything as well as a new one would.>>>Dan I have a close friend that drives a 1947 GMC "silversides" converted buss, all original exterior and modern "live in" interior).>>>

We?re still in our 92 Bounder. Been a great mh. Go anywhere. Never let us down, never leaked, and we?ve customized it over the years just the way we want. Only put about 1000 mi. a year on it the last 4-5 years. Thinking about selling it this spring. Getting too old.

I have a 94 Pace Arrow. We recently went to the RV show in town and honestly we wouldn't change our older rig for a newer rig. Beyond internal materials that were used on the newer RV being nicer the craftsmanship didn't seem to be too good. Lots of doors and cabinets didn't close correctly. We haven't done any mods to the interior since we bought this rig 2 years ago and don't feel like we need to. We have had to make some repairs to drawer slides and knobs but nothing major has broken for us.

We have a 2004 Monaco Executive that we bought new.  About 114,000 miles later we've taken a lot of great trips and still love it as much as we did when we got it.  Of course, we were lucky to be able to order it and take factory delivery so we have a somewhat unique model.  The basic motorhome is the Executive model but it has a lot of Dynasty features that we liked better, not to mention our unique blue color combination on the exterior.  Many of the Monaco techs have told us it was the best motorhome they ever built so someone, someday might be able to acquire a really nice and very livable older motorhome.  As others have mentioned, when we go to shows and check out the new models, they just don't appeal to us and few are as well made in terms of fit and finish.  We've had to replace things every now and then but that's to be expected.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Many of the Monaco techs have told us it was the best motorhome they ever built so someone, someday might be able to acquire a really nice and very livable older motorhome.

Keep me in mind!  Maybe by the time you are ready to sell, we'll be ready to transition back from trailer to motorhome.  ;)

Scott, we'll probably have this motorhome until it's someone else's job to sell, so sorry but we're not making a list!  ::)

ArdraF

I have a 98 Rexhall 32? Class A, 56,000 miles.  I can do most repairs on my own.  Mostly trouble free.  Aside from tires, batteries every few years and regular oil changes, it?s zero problems.  I?ve looked at new/newer but haven?t found anything that would suit me better.  I enjoy the king bed.  Installed a $99 washer/spin dryer (these should be standard equipment in a motorhome!!!), have an onboard compressor and two flat screens.  I usually spend a month in warm weather in January at a light sport aircraft airfield and fly, camp and relax with like minded great people.  I share the sentiment that the smell of ?debt free?is a wonderful aroma to wake up to along with a cup of coffee.

Is this old enough to win?

Attachments

• 13432279_10205305753957925_1978911435811324667_n.jpg
    13432279_10205305753957925_1978911435811324667_n.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 197
Our current coach is 18 years old.  We've been in it a year after selling our '88 Sportscoach.
When I put the Sportscoach up for sale last year, the first guy to look at it bought it for $2500 more than we paid for it. 
In fact, it took longer to sell my Wrangler YJ after we got the TJ than it did to sell the motor home.

Only one year into our first RV experience, 1997, Monaco Dynasty. So far only some minor repairs and new tires. We are the third owners and happy so far with our RVing experience.

We are looking tomorrow at buying a 1997 Monaco Dynasty it has everything we want in a motor home

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom