Who drives the OLDEST Class A here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe not as old as some, but I have a 2002 Safari Trek 28 ft class A, I bought it in 2016 with 74,000 miles as of yesterday it had 82,354 (I know because changed the oil on it yesterday).  Getting ready to head out on a 1,700 mile solo trip in a couple of weeks. It is in great shape overall, maybe a few less bells and whistles than the latest models (no color changing LED lights, or central smart screen control system), but everything works, interior has real solid wood cabinets, and solid surface counter tops, generally looks better than new entry level coaches, exterior has a few stone chips and minor dings, but looks great from 20 feet away, except for a couple of spots.  Though if I am being honest the carpet on the entry steps is a bit more worn than I would like.

As I see it the money I saved on buying an older used coach I can put into maintenance and upgrades.  $21,000 to buy a coach that had an original MSRP of $114,000 in 2002 (inflation adjusted that is about $168,000 today), even spending another $9,000 since 2016, about 1/3 on needed repairs (brakes, dash air conditioner repair, etc.), 1/3 on upgrades (new shocks, LED headlights, etc) , and 1/3 on bells and whistles (GPS nav, magne-shade sun screen, etc.)  I am still ahead of the depreciation hit I would have taken on a new coach.

Just bought a 2002 Journey DL Diesel. Main reason for buying the 2002, is the newer models have robbed a lot of the horsepower with all the emission modifications. Haven't even gone on first trip yet, but we already love it.

Just bought a 2002 Journey DL Diesel. Main reason for buying the 2002, is the newer models have robbed a lot of the horsepower with all the emission modifications. Haven't even gone on first trip yet, but we already love it.

And no DEF problems!

dktool said:
1993 for me...............do I win ?

1993 was long ago?  When did that happen?  Someone needs to keep me in the loop.

1990 southwind on a p30 chassis I'm mechanically inclined so having a older vehicle doesnt bother me granted we dont have pull outs and all the new stuff but its bought and paid for and is still in great shape.

87 Fleetwood Southwind. To be honest, it needs one of everything,  but it got us through three seasons. Currently being sold as a "fixer upper". Just signed the paper work on a 2001 Fleetwood 31 foot Fiesta.

i have a 89 allegro 27 ft with 454 p30 and have normal problems as other and have driven past newer class a motor homes  broken down on side of the road and mine has never left me stranded , at least not yet. just get a well taken care of used one...save alot of money..

Looks like we'll have to drive our ol 95 Bounder for a few more years.

Richard

New member here.  Just purchased a 1983 Sportscoach two weeks ago.  Vintage(old).  Original interior.  Very good condition and well maintained.  Currently cleaning and checking out all systems.  Drove 70 miles to get it home.  Was a great small trip.  No problems. Have not had a camping trip yet.  Hopefully as work permits, in the next two weeks.  End of July, planning a 300 mile one way trip to go floating on Jack's fork river in Eminence.

1983Sportscoach said:
New member here.  Just purchased a 1983 Sportscoach two weeks ago.  Vintage(old).  Original interior.  Very good condition and well maintained.  Currently cleaning and checking out all systems.  Drove 70 miles to get it home.  Was a great small trip.  No problems. Have not had a camping trip yet.  Hopefully as work permits, in the next two weeks.  End of July, planning a 300 mile one way trip to go floating on Jack's fork river in Eminence.
Before you leav check how old the tires are. Over 7-8 years old NEED to b e changed no matter how much tread is left on em

We just bought a 1997 Allegro 31IA by Tiffin two weeks ago and really like it.  As my husband says newer isn't always better.

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral F53.  One year older than our previous 2006 Class C Thor Four Winds E450.
Older, but better quality materials and workmanship inside and out.
We looked at lots of newer, and new, class A motorhomes and were very disappointed.
We will be keeping this old girl for awhile. When we retire, we'll be shopping for a used DP around the 2006-2007 vintage.
<HR is in the avatar.

Back
Top Bottom