Underbed Storage - What do You put there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kportra

I'm curious about the uses of underbed storage.  It's a fairly large space for sure.  Clumsy (or sometimes dangerous to the head) to get to.  What do you put there?

We have put extra green propane bottles and cases of bottled water.

I added sectional dividers to our underbed storage. The first section gets little used cookware and excess bulk supplies like coffee, toilet paper, boxed goods, etc, the center section gets our extra blankets and sheets, while the third section is where we store our laundry until there's enough for a wash day trip. I installed stronger gas springs on our bed that make it easy to lift with one or two fingers and hold it securely raised.

Infrequently used items for sure - laundry dryer rack, extra coats/blankets, etc. I don't like the idea of storing propane inside. I know the 1# bottles are indoor safe but I'd rather have them in an outside compartment just in case.

NY_Dutch said:
I added sectional dividers to our underbed storage. I installed stronger gas springs on our bed that make it easy to lift with one or two fingers and hold it securely raised.
Both of these have been on my to-do list for years. Maybe this year finally...maybe. ::)

I made a single piece bed cushion for the dinette table top that goes in there when not in use.  Extra blankets go in there as well.  I stored a TV in there last summer moving my daughter out to Colorado.

We don't have much space on the inside storage.  We have sleeping bags in there and a motorbike helmet (we don;t have a motorbike though  ::) ::) ::)).

Outside space which is still kinda under the bed, we have:

ladders, BBQ, tools, propane for BBQ, 4 fold up chairs, fold up mat, fishing rods, we keep our hitch stuff in a box in there when unhooked, cleaning stuff, fold up table, candles......

that's all I can remember.....

Blankets, pillows, safe (but don't tell anyone) clothes basket for dirty clothes, portable ironing board.

A case of wine. A plastic lidded bin with extra bedding. Empty trash can when toodling down the road. Hiking boots/poles. Backpacks for hiking. A small step stool. Yup, it's a bit of a catchall for things that don't really seem to have a place in the rest of the trailer.

We have access to about 1/2 of the bed space due to the layout of our trailer. The space is divided into two sections. In one section we keep the laundry baskets. The other section gets the cat?s litter box. There is an access portal DH cut out, nicely framed with picture frame molding. We also replaced the struts early on to hold a bigger weight and be easier to open.

What I've learned so far:
I need struts to help me open and hold open the cover.
I need to travel with more wine!!  Will definitely be using this idea!

Heavy stuff that we don't want bouncing around in cabinets, like canned goods and big pots. Bulky things, like paper towels and TP, that take up lots of space.

One section is paper files. Another is canned/overflow/spare pantry food. Another is a large assortment of lesser used spices (I like to cook but how often does one really use Garam Masala?). Spare office supplies from the sticks and bricks I'll be whittling down for years.

NY_Dutch said:
I installed stronger gas springs on our bed that make it easy to lift with one or two fingers and hold it securely raised.

I did as well, with the strongest I could find. Holds it securely raised, but the initial foot of lift is still a grunt

Small wet-dry shop vac, extra paper towels and TP, pressure tank for water, file holder for MH records, water pump and a 5 relay box for the TOAD brake and tail lights.

kportra said:
What I've learned so far:
I need struts to help me open and hold open the cover.
I need to travel with more wine!!  Will definitely be using this idea!

More wine...the only way to travel. ;)

Generally an extra blanket and set of sheets. We live in Fla so if we?re headed north in the spring or fall, our warm clothes go down there until it?s time to change out of shorts and t-shirts, then the wardrobes swap places. It?s also a good safe place for a guitar when we?re on the road.

I'm not sure, that's the better halfs space I think... I like the wine idea though!! Gonna have a peek under there and see.. :)

Since we have a standalone dinette table and chairs with two full chairs that stay out and two folding chairs that are stored, we put those chairs under the bed along with our vacuum cleaner and extra furnace filters for the basement a/c.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom