Inverter/Convertor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cedrick

I have a newbie question.  Do trailers normally come with a converter to charge the battery while on shore power?  I am embarking on my maiden voyage in a couple of weeks and don't want to end the week with a dead battery.  We will have full hook up while we are out.  The unit is a 2012 model.

Thanks,

Cedrick

Yes, a converter that changes 120 volts to 12 volts is standard equipment. It will charge the trailer battery and run the 12 volt lights and appliances whenever you're connected to power.

Almost always there's also a charging wire coming from the tow vehicle's alternator that will also provide charging current when the engine is running.

An inverter changes 12 volt battery power to 120 VAC to let you run 120 volt stuff from the batteries when you're not plugged into power.  It's optional and usually not part of the basic trailer package.

Lou Schneider said:
Almost always there's also a charging wire coming from the tow vehicle's alternator that will also provide charging current when the engine is running.

As Lou said. You should make muse that lead is energized when the tow vehicle is running to keep it charged.  Looking at the truck receptacle, the hot wire should be the one at 1:00

Yes, there will be a charge wire in the 7 pin connector to charge the battery while towing. However, in many tow vehicles, the fuse for that wire has never been installed. I'm not at all sure why.

Joel

All  above is accurate.  The suggestion to check for 12V power to the camper is important, too.  It keeps you charged while traveling, but only if working.  Some vehicles come from the factory with it working.  Some need a fuse (saved 10 cents!).  Some have the wire run, but not connected.  With the truck running, check for 12 VDC from the 1 o'clock pin to ground, as Rene said.  If no power, ask how to connect power.  Include year, make and model of the vehicle.

WHen you talk about Trailers the answer is USUALLY.. Some very small trailers may not.

IN my life I've owned an Apache Pop Up. it did not come with a 12 volt system. It was small enough it did not even need aux brakes.. I added a 12 volt system to it.

ANd a 13' Scamp (This is what I towed to the dealer the day I came home with a class A)
It too had no 12 volt anything in it, also light weight and not even electric brakes.

(Yes I know the furnace is 12 volt, they did not have one, also the water pump was hand operated)

Both were "Weekeneders"  But any trailer designed for long term use should have a 12 volt system and thus a converter.

How do I connect the power to the 7 pin? I have a 2013 Ram 2500 Laramie. Thanks for the info!!

john_h said:
How do I connect the power to the 7 pin? I have a 2013 Ram 2500 Laramie. Thanks for the info!!

If the pin is factory wired on the truck side then check in the truck fuse box. There will likely be a labeled fuse position with no fuse in it

Back
Top Bottom