New truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pappi49

Been kicking around the idea of a new to me tow vehicle. Have been looking at used F250s and I am not finding a whole lot of them with back up cameras.

For those of you that do not have a camera in your truck, what did you do to solve the problem of hitching your trailer without a camera? This all may be a mute point if I can not find a truck in my price range. This is especially true since I don't think any dealer wants to give me much of a trade value on my current truck. I cant sell it to get more out of it since we are both retired and only have the truck as our daily driver.

As always, all input is appreciated.

You can add a rear camera to most any vehicle for $130-$200, either one specifically for hitching or a general safety/use camera.

Check the trade value on your truck at NADA.com.
http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2016/Used/Ford/F-150?category=Truck

Yeah, you won't get it's retail selling value, but you probably won't get High Retail from a private buyer either. If you think you can get a couple thousand more selling private, you could rent an economy car for a week while you truck shop.  But remember, in most states that have a sales tax, the trade value isn't taxable so you pay less sales tax on the new one if you trade.  That could be a big chunk of cash on a late model truck.

A pair of simple white dots correctly placed allowed me to hitch by myself in one try.  Gadgets are nice, but old school is usually cheaper and not prone to failures.

You do not mention your budget.  For later models, 2011 after, I believe, they were standard on Lariat trim, optional on XLT.

As Gary mentioned, aftermarket cameras are available at reasonable prices.  I had a Yada wireless on my Honda which worked well for around $100.  That camera mounted on the top of the license plate.

grashley said:
You do not mention your budget.  For later models, 2011 after, I believe, they were standard on Lariat trim, optional on XLT.

As Gary mentioned, aftermarket cameras are available at reasonable prices.  I had a Yada wireless on my Honda which worked well for around $100.  That camera mounted on the top of the license plate.

Ive had backup cameras as standard equipment in all my vehicles since 2010 aftermarket they are cheap

Use GOAL. Get Out And Look. Not quite as handy as a camera, but it works. It's free too! As far as cameras, if you just want one for hooking up trailers, just get the cheapest one that would work for you.

I agree with all of the above - you get used to it - it's not that difficult and becomes quite routine after a while. For a couple of years I did use a mirror that hung over the top of the tailgate (a friend who sold his TT gave it to me). I did find that very handy - it saved a lot of getting out of the driver's seat!

I just remembered lol my new ford has the complete camera package
Front
Sides
Back up
And One for the fiver in the box which is cool but i still get out and look

They even have one to mount on the rear of the trailer but its stupid expensive 

steveblonde said:
I just remembered lol my new ford has the complete camera package
Front
Sides
Back up
And One for the fiver in the box which is cool but i still get out and look

They even have one to mount on the rear of the trailer but its stupid expensive

How can you find time to glance out the windshield?  ???

Thanks all, for the advice. I never even thought to look at Amazon for after market cameras. Quick glance showed me a bunch of them. They ranged in price from $25 to $200 so if it comes to that, I should be able to find something. If not just have to try GOAL method or practice a lot.

Again, thanks for all the help. Really appreciate it.

I got pretty good at using the mirrors and lining up the lights on the front of my trailer to line up while backing up to the trailer.  However, I always had to get out and look a couple times to back up to where the ball is right under the hitch.  The more I did it over the years, the easier it became. 

However, having said that I've got to admit that the camera on the back of my GMC is really nice!  Another of those accessories that I didn't know I needed until I got it.  Now I'll never be without one!

lynnmor said:
How can you find time to glance out the windshield?  ???

Right! Its total overkill. The backup ones are cool  and yes i use them, once you get used to them theyare great the front one ive never used and like others have said i still like to get out and look, but technology its here to stay lol

Back
Top Bottom