Finding full hookups on short notice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Castek

Hi everyone,
My wife and I are traveling medical technologists and are heading to California in June. We work 13 week contracts and plan on getting a used class c for housing while we are on our assignment. We don't know what part of California yet, since these assignments pop up quickly and are filled within a couple of weeks. My question for you all is how hard is it to find and reserve a decent RV spot with a short notice? We will be looking to rent a spot monthly and might only have 2 weeks to get something secured before we drive from Texas to Cali. Have any of you had trouble securing a spot before?
Any input is appreciated.  ;D
Thanks!

Kevin

Welcome to The RV Forum, Kevin!

Depending on what part of the state you're talking about, it can range from easy to next to impossible to find long term sites.

Rural areas, up and down the Central Valley, Palm Springs, etc. no problem.  But larger areas like San Francisco and most of Los Angeles are two hours away from those areas and have extremely high land costs so they have are very few RV parks and those tend to stay full and expensive.

One thing to be aware of is California law makes it very hard for a park to evict a troublemaker after they've been in the park more than a few days.  The longer someone stays, the more rights they gain under State law until after a couple of months they basically have the same rights as someone renting an apartment.  If they start causing trouble or even just stop paying rent, the park owner has to go through a multi-month court eviction process to get them out.  Because of this, many parks, especially in the big cities, require an application similar to renting an apartment with references and a credit check before they'll rent to you at a monthly rate or let you stay longer than a week or two.

Finding places on short notice can be done, but it's not as easy as in other parts of the country.

Your best bet is to check online sources like rvparkreviews.com for the areas you're interested in and call the parks directly.

In many cases you will need to speak directly with the owner or manager.

Many websites do not offer or mention long term stays. Some parks allow them on a case by case situation.

I would try to make sure you have the entire 3 months rents ready to pay because then you are able to negotiate a fair rent.

Many park owners will jump at the chance to have a renter who can prepay 3 months.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom