Air conditioner hold down bolts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Broke Boater

My old camper did not have a roof mounted AC, so this was new to me. Last month I noticed some small drops of water on the floor of the camper, its been sitting for awhile. Found that the water had came the AC. We had a dry dry Feb so lucky I caught it after the small rain that we did get. Reading the owners manual and youtube, I decided it was the ac gasket and changed it out. March was wet and no more drops, so it looks like I was right. Those hold down bolts don't have any type fastener to capture the bolt and prevent it from backing off. With all the shaking and movement of a rv rolling down crappy kookafornia roads, these will loosen at some point. What's the PM on this AC so I don't have future leaks,,,gregg

Chances are the bolts will not back out. What does happen is that after 3 or 4 years, the foam gasket will relax a little and then the bolts will need to be retighten. I just had to do mine 2 days ago. I was able to tighten all 4 bolts about 2 full turns. Do not over tighten the bolts. I didn't use a torque wrench but I would say I used 3 or 4 lbs of torque. 

Rene is right, the gasket compresses. Tightening the bolts is supposed to be done annually.

In the five years I owned my TT, I never had to tighten the bolts on the AC.  In the first three years I owned my 5th wheel I never had to either.  But after I got my roof replaced (a branch went through it during a storm), within a year it was leaking through the AC.  The bolts were seriously loose.  I don't think they tightened them much when they put the new roof on.  The bolts were all loose on my vent covers also.  I still need to get one of them.  Anyway, glad to see this is not so uncommon.  I will check more often now.

I just check the installation manual for the AC I installed up front and it said do not over torque the bolts. Torque them to 40 to 50 inch lbs. That's 3 to 4 foot lbs.

We just had a pretty strong storm come through Lakeland FL.  It poured for over an hour and I mean poured. Lots of thunder and lightening. Knock on wood, no leaks. We did keep a large pan on the bed just in case. We may do it for a few more storms.  I think I may make these bolts one of my annual inspection points. It only took me 15 minutes.

Rene T said:
We just had a pretty strong storm come through Lakeland FL.  It poured for over an hour and I mean poured. Lots of thunder and lightening. Knock on wood, no leaks. We did keep a large pan on the bed just in case. We may do it for a few more storms.  I think I may make these bolts one of my annual inspection points. It only took me 15 minutes.

I did the same thing.  I have removed my bucket finally.  I trust my job.  I just hope I didn't over-tighten them.

Back
Top Bottom