Toad tracking trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerryGarner

I?m having a problem with my 07 Dodge Laramie losing tracking. At first it does fine until I have to make a turn or to many lane changes on the Hwy. it wants to turn to the right, my only solution was to pull off the hwy. and reset. In a 900 mile pull it cost me, by the time I got home two brand new Cooper Discovery AT tires. I googled and got all sorts of responses from you can?t pull a Dodge to tie a bungy strap to the wheel and leave the steering column unlocked. According to Dodge the wheel is to be locked into position when I put the transfer case into neutral. As I stated earlier this works fine until I begin to lose tracking. Anyone ever had this problem and if so any suggestions should be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ABSOLUTLY NO WAY THE STEERING WHEEL SHOULD BE "LOCKED" What does "LOCKED" mean to you??>>>Dan  :eek:

Do this,, go to a locksmith and have a copy of your ignition key made WITHOUT the chip. Now use this key for towing, it cannot be used to start or drive the vehicle (the absents of the chip won't allow it) but will keep the wheel lock open when inserted and turned to the unlocked position.>>>D

Are you towing 4 down, or on a dolly? It sounds as if you're doing 4 down, in which case locking the steering wheel not only puts undue stress on the steering mechanism, but the toad can't "flow" with the tow, that is, the front wheels can't adjust to side loads. That's also why you wore out the tires so quickly. Locking, it seems to me, might be for the front wheels on a dolly, though I can't think that would be good for a four wheel drive.

My Dodge manual clearly states when towing 4 down, after the transfer case is in neutral put it in drive for 5 seconds with foot on brake to insure transfer case is indeed in neutral do the same in reverse if indeed in neutral place transmission into park and turn key all the way off to locked position. You are ready to tow. As a matter of fact the directions say after all this is complete to remove the key. It did track correctly. What your saying makes sense, but there was no pressure on my steering wheel when I unlocked it to reset. Also the wheel didn’t turn a bunch to the right it would go that direction in a turn and then straighten out just not completely straight. This is my first try at towing but I’m thoroughly confused.

How many sets of front tires will it take to convince you to "unlock the steering as the last event"???D
Some times you even have to use ONLY ONE KEY and not a gob of keys on the ring to keep it from jumping around a getting into the locked position.>>>D 

The sarcasm was uncalled for. I was merely stating to you what the manual said, you?re telling me something different then what dodge says to do I?m willing to try anyway I just want it to work.

Utclmjmpr said:
ABSOLUTLY NO WAY THE STEERING WHEEL SHOULD BE "LOCKED" What does "LOCKED" mean to you??>>>Dan  :eek:

Do this,, go to a locksmith and have a copy of your ignition key made WITHOUT the chip. Now use this key for towing, it cannot be used to start or drive the vehicle (the absents of the chip won't allow it) but will keep the wheel lock open when inserted and turned to the unlocked position.>>>D

This is an excellent idea I?ll do that and leave it unlocked on the column. Have you ever heard of using bungee?s and is it a good precaution?

Larry N. said:
Are you towing 4 down, or on a dolly? It sounds as if you're doing 4 down, in which case locking the steering wheel not only puts undue stress on the steering mechanism, but the toad can't "flow" with the tow, that is, the front wheels can't adjust to side loads. That's also why you wore out the tires so quickly. Locking, it seems to me, might be for the front wheels on a dolly, though I can't think that would be good for a four wheel drive.
I went back and read it again the instructions read as I first reported. But that's never happening again. I?ll unlock it and try again. Maybe a misprint.

The bungees are not needed,it will tow fine...... Sometimes a little sarcasm is a good thing if it makes you stop and think. Nothing personal,,just another way of making a point.>>>Dan ;D

Point taken  :-[. I can take it as long as the info is good. Thanks for the reply.

I also use Coopers on my Liberty,,a few years ago my wife thought she would "speed up' the hookup process, so she did the interior settings as I did the exterior ,,,,,sho nuf 20 miles and $306.00 later new front tires.>>>Dan

I'm not familiar with the Laramie, but in general how well a toad tracks behind the motorhome is related to the caster setup on the front end.

Like the front wheels on a shopping cart, caster measures how far the front wheels are behind the pivot.  When you drive forward, positive caster makes the wheels return to a straight line.  Negative caster makes the wheels want to go off in a different direction when towing.

Further reading:

http://www.comeanddriveit.com/suspension/camber-caster-toe

At a guess, your owner manual is simply incomplete, i.e. is only addressing getting the transfer case ready for towing. If you take that very narrow view, then unlocking of the steering is a tow bar requirement to allow the vehicle to follow along nicely.

Have you inquired of Chrysler on this topic?

I see a lot of talk about the steering lock, I towed once with the steering locked. One new tire later..... (About 8 miles is all I got on that tire)..

One thing that will cause odd behaviour.. When I set up a car for towing I also have it aligned, I specify that it will be towed 4 down. One of the adjustments is set a bit differently on towed cars. I THINK, and I streee THINK it is castor

This makes it track better.  They still set it within spec, but at one end of the specified range.

I just looked it up, the manual says:

12.  Shut engine OFF and place the ignition key to the unlocked OFF position.
13.  Shift automatic transmission into Park (P)
14.  Apply parking brake
15.  Attach vehicle to tow vehicle with tow bar.
16.  Release parking brake.

I don't see where it says anything about locking the steering, or removing the key.  it says place the ignition in the UNLOCKED OFF position.  Maybe your manual is in error.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom