5 speed vs. 6 speed tranmission- deal breaker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atascaderCA

Hi All,
We are looking at a 2016 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36DBT.  We absolutely love the floor plan.  The only thing stopping the purchase is that it has the 5 speed transmission instead of the new 6 speed transmission.  They quit making this floor plan in 2016.  Really don't like any of the newer floor plans.  Should this transmission thing be a deal breaker?  This is our first motorhome converting from a fifth wheel.
Would appreciate any feedback soon.
Thanks!

It would not be a deal breaker for me. Most people spend 95% of their time living in an RV and 5% of the time driving  it so it makes sense to me to optimize it for living, not driving.

If you like the rig and the floor plan, then probably not.  The extra gear is just another overdrive gear, and will lower the RPM's a bit more in drive.  If you are planning on 20K miles a year in the mountains, you might notice a difference.  Under typical use,  probably not. 

Having had both transmissions recently, there's a lot of difference between the two, a lot more than just another overdrive gear, and the difference is noticeable in day to day driving.
Probably not a deal breaker, but if you have ever driven a Ford with the 6 speed, and used
the"manual" feature, it really sucks to go back to the 5 speed. It's still beyond me why it took Ford so long to put the 6 speed behind the V-10, it's a match made in Heaven.

I suppose it depends on how good of a price it is, how much you will drive it and what your budget is.  Only you can really answer the question. 

I remember when 5 speeds were a luxury so it wouldn't bother me. 

It's true I have not owned a Ford heavy duty chassis with a five speed trans. I can only compare it to the Allison 5 and 6 speed transmission. The 6 speed is superior to the 5 speed, but not enough to kill a purchase for me if I loved the coach and was getting a good price. 

Understand that :)  There's a world of difference in Ford's 5 and 6 transmissions.

You spend more time in a site, so floor plan is very important.  I do love the six speed in ours.

A ?world? of difference? Hardly. I?ve driven both. The six gets slightly better gas mileage and lower RPM?s on the highway, I?d call it more a modest difference at best. I wouldn?t even blink an eye in getting the rig you want if that?s the main issue.

Maybe not much difference in mpg, but the 6 speed allows one to have pretty much total control of the transmission. With the 5 speed, all one can do is either be in tow mode or not. The 6 speed also provides better control of engine braking down hill. With the 5 speed, one must anticipate uphills and be very proactive with the gas pedal to keep speed steady. With the 6 speed, just use the manual feature and shift gears to maintain speed without unnecessarily having the engine run really high rpms. Yes, in my opinion, there's a world of difference, especially in driveability.

The 5 speed will get you wherever you want to go and that's really what it's all about isn't it ?  It's a good tranny and won't leave you stranded.  Find something else to worry about.

I've had the 3+OD, 5 and 6 speed Fords.  The 5 was a technological leap from the 3+OD, and the 6 was a technological leap from the 5.  All made me happy when I didn't know the better was out there.  The 5 speed tow haul mode was a fantastic advantage over the old 3+OD, as it would downshift at the touch of the brake.  The 6 speed did all that - plus full manual control and allowed you to limit the top gear you wanted it to seek.

Mile High said:
I've had the 3+OD, 5 and 6 speed Fords.  The 5 was a technological leap from the 3+OD, and the 6 was a technological leap from the 5.  All made me happy when I didn't know the better was out there.  The 5 speed tow haul mode was a fantastic advantage over the old 3+OD, as it would downshift at the touch of the brake.  The 6 speed did all that - plus full manual control and allowed you to limit the top gear you wanted it to seek.

Yep,,, that pretty much says it all.  Today the 6 speed is the best thing,,, which I suppose is true,, but tomorrow the 7 or 8 speed will be the best thing.  Does it make your 6 speed bad ?  I didn't think so.

Thank you for all the responses! It was very helpful. Found a new rig ( Georgetown XL 369)  with a floor plan we like...for the money, we will probably go with the new one to get the latest and greatest. 

atascaderCA said:
Thank you for all the responses! It was very helpful. Found a new rig ( Georgetown XL 369)  with a floor plan we like...for the money, we will probably go with the new one to get the latest and greatest.
If you got the $$$ , do it! Just keep in mind the latest and greatest only lasts about a month... ?

Peteyboy said:
Yep,,, that pretty much says it all.  Today the 6 speed is the best thing,,, which I suppose is true,, but tomorrow the 7 or 8 speed will be the best thing.  Does it make your 6 speed bad ?  I didn't think so.

And my Honda Odyssey van has a 9 speed in it. Go figure.

Yep tech is changing fast. I held off a year on buying my truck because they were going from a 6 speed to
and 8 speed trans. Love the mileage on it.

Wait until they are electric!  No tranny to break and tons of torque!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom