what does backup camera ready mean on new trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chaperall lite

We have a 2016 new Puma, and it says "Backup camera ready" does that mean we only have to  buy a monitor for the truck? it should be wireless, right?

I found this in the on line generic manual for a 2018 Palomino FW under  Safety Devices

The backup camera (optional) is located in an elevated location on the rear wall, directly below the center running lights. It is a color camera with a built-in microphone. The connection cable exits the camper in the roadside front corner next to the truck electrical connection. The mating harness and monitor are available from your Palomino Dealer.

http://idn.tweddle.com/forestriver/manual?itemtype=UG&brand=Palomino_RV&model=Fifth_Wheel&language=EN_US&year=2018&market=US&idn_session=i450shca8hes79qvptotou32m0

I suspect the "camera ready" means the wiring exists, as described.  Call the dealer or manufacturer for details??

I just looked that one up..  It means that the mount and wiring is in place for a specific camera, but the camera itself isn't there.  Handy, but you'd still need to buy the camera.

it says "Backup camera ready" does that mean we only have to  buy a monitor for the truck?

Sort answer: NO. It merely means the trailer has wires for a camera of some kind, running from the back of the trailer to the front of the trailer. No camera in place and no monitor for the tow vehicle.

If you buy a wireless camera, you don't need the signal wires, but you still might need to use the power wire

On our rig it meant that the camera mount was on the rear and had power to it. It is a wireless Furrion setup. I put in the observation camera with the wireless receiver screen in the truck. I have to turn on my marker lights and this powers up my camera. Works great.

Usually all it means is the OEM has installed a mounting bracket for a camera (Furrion usually)and run 12V to it. You have to buy your own trailer camera and monitor for the truck. Be aware, some OEM's run the 12V so the 12V is always on. Some people have ended up fishing a marker light wire to get their 12V so it's switched.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom