The first few months with your new motorhome?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jymbee said:
There's probably attorneys out there that would take your case!  :)

That's gotta' be an awful feeling-- "what's that noise?" as you pull out. Haven't done exactly that but have to admit I have done a number of quite similar things myself...

What's that noise was exactly what I said. The awning didn't survive the first telephone pole

You may think we are crazy, but we took delivery April 26, 2016 of our Dutchstar and left for Alaska on the 30th. Only one minor repair by Freighliner in Rapid City completed while we waited.

The remaining warranty stuff which was minor we had completed by the dealership when we got back after almost 15,000 miles.

We now have almost 30,000 miles and are leaving for Alaska on April 30 of this year.

Ken

So far, so good.  We bought used, a 2009 Monaco Dynasty with the ISM500 Cummins.  Much less than half the cost of buying new, much less.  Had it professionally inspected.  Nothing major, biggest issue an oil leak from what appears to be the mounting gasket on the compressor, six weeks out for Cummins to replace  :mad: , and needed two new tires for the front.  Needs some TLC, but solid otherwise.  Was taken care of on the outside, most think it's brand new.  We plan to upgrade the appliances even though they all work, due to amount of money we saved by not buying new.  Biggest complaint, salesmen, most of the time if their mouth is open, they're lying.  Bought an extended warranty to use just in case, but it will be cancelled soon.  Put 2500 miles on the coach driving home and we'll put another 2500 next month, if no engine/transmission problems, the we'll cancel the warranty.  We almost went with buying new, but so glad we waited, found the floor plan we were looking for and enough motor for the toad.

Purchased a very gently used rental 2017 Thor Chateau 23u on a 2016 Ford E450 chassis in November. Spent about 8 hours of PDI where a couple of minor issues were resolved and a ton of learning was accomplished.
  Issues, enhancements, education since then:
  Learned it has a low tolerance to wind. Yea, I have read all the posts on how to fix this. They are on my TODO list.
  Skylight over the shower broke when a tiny tree branch glanced at it. The original material is super thin. Just replaced it with a much thicker, lower profile skylight. I am optimistic.
  Fixed lots of noise generators. Worst was a metal panel on the bottom of the RV door. Rebuilt the squeaky, broken microwave mounting fascia.
  Tons of factory build debris. The factory never cleaned up after drilling a hole, stripping a wire, clipping a zip tie (if they even clipped it), etc. Never got cleaned up over 9 months, 9k miles of rental. Still finding new places for debris to hide.
  Set my Wrangler up as a TOAD including Invisibrake system. This included running a brake indicator light from the TOAD to the dash of the RV. Interesting in routing the wire. In the process blew the fuse for the emergency start relay. Finding the fuse hidden deep in the bowels under the hood was almost the hardest part.
  Added 12v and USB ports at the back by the bed and by the dinette. Discovered good ground points do not exist. I added a couple of grounding strips. I did find a couple of 12v fuses that were unused. One is now in use. Added clock, indoor/outdoor thermometer, volt meter.
  Added cup holders to the dinette. Added lots of clothes hooks. Added book/magazine rack above bed. Added removable splash shield between the sink and the bed. Doubles as sink cover.
  Learned that the RV suspension seems to amplify the wash boarding on gravel roads instead of shock absorbing them. Not sure what I can do about that. I now understand why rental companies do not allow off pavement driving.
  While stopping for the night at the top of Vail pass in CO in Nov learned that when the house battery runs down in the middle of the night due to tank heaters being on that the furnace no longer works which leads to water lines freezing. Also learned a similar lesson when leaving the RV for 3 days of backpacking in Death Valley in January that the fridge/freezer also does not work when the house battery runs down. The new solar panel should fix this.
  Added TPMS. Learned a lot about tire pressure behavior from cold to hot.
  Created lots of check lists and dimension dash label.
  When de-winterizing found a water leak in the area going into the water pump. Several learning opportunities here. First, the section leaking was impossible to get to. Ended up cutting an access panel into the dinette seat base. Next, found there is a screen pre-filter just before the pump. It was full of sawdust. Need to watch this in the future. Could not find anything broken. Removed and reinstalled the pre-filter and pex pipe. Leak must have been loose screw-on connections.
  The list goes on and on. In general, lots of learning opportunities and lots of DIY tasks. The only thing I hired out was the solar panel system.
  Would I buy a gently used, non-Cruise America rental again? You bet. It was top end, not stripped down. It was also very well taken care of by the rental company. Be sure to note, it had only 9 months, 9k miles on it.

Wow-- proof positive that no matter how thorough a PDI the only way to really know what to expect-- is to drive it and find out.

JKromberg said:
  Purchased a very gently used rental 2017 Thor Chateau 23u on a 2016 Ford E450 chassis in November. Spent about 8 hours of PDI where a couple of minor issues were resolved and a ton of learning was accomplished.
  Issues, enhancements, education since then:
  Learned it has a low tolerance to wind. Yea, I have read all the posts on how to fix this. They are on my TODO list.
  Skylight over the shower broke when a tiny tree branch glanced at it. The original material is super thin. Just replaced it with a much thicker, lower profile skylight. I am optimistic.
  Fixed lots of noise generators. Worst was a metal panel on the bottom of the RV door. Rebuilt the squeaky, broken microwave mounting fascia.
  Tons of factory build debris. The factory never cleaned up after drilling a hole, stripping a wire, clipping a zip tie (if they even clipped it), etc. Never got cleaned up over 9 months, 9k miles of rental. Still finding new places for debris to hide.
  Set my Wrangler up as a TOAD including Invisibrake system. This included running a brake indicator light from the TOAD to the dash of the RV. Interesting in routing the wire. In the process blew the fuse for the emergency start relay. Finding the fuse hidden deep in the bowels under the hood was almost the hardest part.
  Added 12v and USB ports at the back by the bed and by the dinette. Discovered good ground points do not exist. I added a couple of grounding strips. I did find a couple of 12v fuses that were unused. One is now in use. Added clock, indoor/outdoor thermometer, volt meter.
  Added cup holders to the dinette. Added lots of clothes hooks. Added book/magazine rack above bed. Added removable splash shield between the sink and the bed. Doubles as sink cover.
  Learned that the RV suspension seems to amplify the wash boarding on gravel roads instead of shock absorbing them. Not sure what I can do about that. I now understand why rental companies do not allow off pavement driving.
  While stopping for the night at the top of Vail pass in CO in Nov learned that when the house battery runs down in the middle of the night due to tank heaters being on that the furnace no longer works which leads to water lines freezing. Also learned a similar lesson when leaving the RV for 3 days of backpacking in Death Valley in January that the fridge/freezer also does not work when the house battery runs down. The new solar panel should fix this.
  Added TPMS. Learned a lot about tire pressure behavior from cold to hot.
  Created lots of check lists and dimension dash label.
  When de-winterizing found a water leak in the area going into the water pump. Several learning opportunities here. First, the section leaking was impossible to get to. Ended up cutting an access panel into the dinette seat base. Next, found there is a screen pre-filter just before the pump. It was full of sawdust. Need to watch this in the future. Could not find anything broken. Removed and reinstalled the pre-filter and pex pipe. Leak must have been loose screw-on connections.
  The list goes on and on. In general, lots of learning opportunities and lots of DIY tasks. The only thing I hired out was the solar panel system.
  Would I buy a gently used, non-Cruise America rental again? You bet. It was top end, not stripped down. It was also very well taken care of by the rental company. Be sure to note, it had only 9 months, 9k miles on it.

We bought our first ever rv last fall and just completed our first big trip..
Outside of a few minor "learning experiences" it was awesome.
That said, we researched hard for 3 years before we bought. We knew exactly what we wanted, found and bought used. It was a year and a half old with 15k miles.
No regrets.

Found the exact rig we were looking for in AZ and traveled from MN to buy it.
All PDI issues satisfactorily taken care of and no problems on the long trip home.
Now impatiently waiting for the new round of 15" to melt so the fun begins - Organizing and decorating before the May trip.

BinaryBob said:
Found the exact rig we were looking for in AZ and traveled from MN to buy it.
All PDI issues satisfactorily taken care of and no problems on the long trip home.
Now impatiently waiting for the new round of 15" to melt so the fun begins - Organizing and decorating before the May trip.

Was the seller a dealer or individual?

Know what you mean about waiting for snow to melt! Looks like we're way ahead of you given most of the main areas are finally bare but still snow in drifts and up in the woods. Not tonight-- they say an ice storm is coming.  :mad:

Ours was thru a dealer as well. Midway RV in Grand Rapids Mi. They detailed the coach, changed all fluids and let us stay the night in it on their lot as part of the PDI. First thing next morning our tech was standing at our door with coffees in hand.
It was a great buying experience.

I'm picking up my new coach on April 27, 2018. I am a bit nervous as I am buying the coach sight unseen (except for photos) and a bit over 600 miles away. It is my third new coach in about a ten year period. I am hoping that the coach is as I have been told, and that my PDI and associated repair list is short.

After I pick up my coach I will spend the weekend at a local RV park and if anything is wrong I'll be at the Dealer first thing Monday morning, or traveling home if everything checks out.

John Beard said:
I'm picking up my new coach on April 27, 2018. I am a bit nervous as I am buying the coach sight unseen (except for photos) and a bit over 600 miles away. It is my third new coach in about a ten year period. I am hoping that the coach is as I have been told, and that my PDI and associated repair list is short.

After I pick up my coach I will spend the weekend at a local RV park and if anything is wrong I'll be at the Dealer first thing Monday morning, or traveling home if everything checks out.

Ah, I can just imagine the anticipation as that date crawls nearer!  :) Good luck and be sure to come back here and post how things turn out!

Beautiful coach!!! But... do not be too surprised if some 'snooty' RV parks refuse to let you in. They seem to have a thing about class B's not being class A's....

Alfa38User said:
Beautiful coach!!! But... do not be too surprised if some 'snooty' RV parks refuse to let you in. They seem to have a thing about class B's not being class A's....

I see it this way...my money will spend down the street from Snootyville RV Park too.

jymbee said:
Ah, I can just imagine the anticipation as that date crawls nearer!  :) Good luck and be sure to come back here and post how things turn out!

Crawls is right, I was supposed to pick up the coach yesterday, however we had a birth in the family this week (twins) and my namesake had a difficult first 48 hours. Now that he is on the right road, I can go get my Motorhome.

It's been about three years of looking, looking, and more looking, followed by more looking, and comparing.

My first week with my new motorhome has been quite interesting. First of all it fits next to the shop in 3/4 shade throughout the afternoon. Secondly it doesn't fit up the driveway...ouch!$! The driveway and road surface in the Cul-De-Sac are both sloping creating a nice wedge that my 39' motorhome misses by about 8'. We are looking at two options, both fairly expensive but they are long term solutions.

I've made a few repairs, such as the stackable washer/dryer needed to be refastened into its cubby. The turn signal cameras were wired such that the left turn signal activated the right camera and visa versa. I contacted Dynamax directly who responded within a 24 hour period who misdirected me to two different locations looking for the video box (splitter). It was in neither of those locations, and me being the simple person that I am thought to myself where would a video box be. So I look in the video cabinet above the passenger's seat and there it was. I changed the labeled cables and put them into the correct labeled ports and another fix was under my belt.

I met with the concrete contractor today too... gulp!!! 

John Beard said:
Secondly it doesn't fit up the driveway...ouch!$! The driveway and road surface in the Cul-De-Sac are both sloping creating a nice wedge that my 39' motorhome misses by about 8'. We are looking at two options, both fairly expensive but they are long term solutions.

Seems pretty obvious to me-- you just have to buy a new home with enough space to accommodate your new rig!  ;D 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom