Spicing it Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

I cook with about 40 spices. Many herbs have health benefits and of course they can radically transform the taste of a dish.

When I moved from my Class C to the 5th wheel, the spices were all dumped on the counter. I pushed them in back then lined them up A to Z. They were in assorted sized spice bottles. The kitchen had an endless cluttered look.

I began searching for solutions. I had one wall on the right side that was empty and measured about 22 by 22 inches. Enough for 4 shelves of spices. The rear cap of the 5th wheel is at a slant, so the wall started out at 22 on the bottom but 19 on the top. To maximize the space I would need to make custom shelving.

I am not a carpenter. I couldn't find the kind of shelving I liked until I stumbled into a fingernail polish display rack that came with 6 acrylic shelves that were about 16 inches long each. I figured I could stick up 4 of those then use the remaining 2 to saw off custom shelves to make 4 continuous shelves to maximize the space and storage.

The acrylic shelves:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDN29HT

When the shelves arrived I measured again. Many of my spices would not fit, I had jars in assorted sizes. I picked out new square jars that would fit. I have this rig parked as a destination RV but if I were traveling, I would put round felt pieces on the sides of the bottles so they would ride quietly without clinking.

Square spice bottles:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0754QCDG3/

Spice Labels:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FHQR6X/

Anyhow, I finished the shelves, redid all my bottles and here is the finished look.

I am thrilled!  Cooking is fun and now I can grab my spices quickly. I have them A to Z from left to right top to bottom. I am missing a few spices, but not for long. Soon there won't be an inch to spare.

Attachments

• kitchen before.JPG
    kitchen before.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 92
  • spice rack.JPG
    spice rack.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 118
I am looking forward to having room for all the seasonings I like, and you have a nice so,union. Thanks for the recommendation of using felt on the sides to keep them from rattling. I will definitely use that.

What a nice look and a great solution to a messy problem.  Good job!

ArdraF

I love the  organized look.  I may be ordering the materials to make my kitchen look better.

We have a spice 'row' above our microwave.  From experience I learned not to travel without something to keep those little bottles from bouncing out.  They are not easy to fish out of a slide mechanism.  They will invariably get in there because of the law of selective gravity and the third corollary of the jelly side down rule.

The second (and last) time fishing one out was not any easier than the first.

In my Class C, I put in galley rails behind the stove and sink to hold a row of spices. It wasn't enough room, but it held a lot.

I also had wall baskets holding condiments. I never had any jump loose. Maybe you need a higher rail for where you are keeping yours?

Above my door was a valance with room above. I put a galley rail there and stashed another 10 spices in my Class C. I wish I could find that pic for ya.

Attachments

• spice in class c.JPG
    spice in class c.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 30
When we travel I put one of those spring loaded refrigerator bars across the opening.  It does the job.

Nice looking job Cynthia. I guess we will never get married. I can't stand spicy food. I don't even own a salt shaker or any spices at all (well except CBD).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pearl Constance de_la She
Back
Top Bottom