HWH levelers won't extend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alpena Jeff

We got home today from our first ever trip in our first ever coach. In the last 6 weeks we traveled from north Michigan to Florida and back with minimal issues. In fact, it was a great trip!
Upon our return home in 35 degree weather I could not get the jacks to go down. When I hit the "auto level" button it drops air then nothing. They have worked without issue since we bought the coach last fall.
My knowledge beyond pushing the button is nill.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Jeff

The HWH jacks on our previous motorhome did the same thing. When I took the control panel out (4 screws) I and noticed that the little ribbon connector wasn't seated well. I unplugged it, cleaned the contacts and then plugged it back in, and it worked fine for the next 12 years. I think it had just vibrated loose after bouncing down California roads. Hopefully, yours will be as easy to fix.

Kev

Yeah Jeff, if the system makes no effort at all, then I would suspect a connection issue like Kev said, a pump issue, or a solenoid issue.  You can check the solenoid by putting a jumper across the posts. If it jumps to life then the solenoid is bad. If not, then either a connection or the pump motor. 

Kev, I do not have a ribbon connector as described under my panel. I have 2 multi-wire connectors, popped them off, cleaned best I could and plugged back in. No go.
Kev and Marty, I started poking around under the hood as Judy was in the captains chair. When I had her press the manual level button I could hear a click. As I was poking around with my multimeter one of the jacks woke up! Scared the crap out of me as my whole body was inside the genny area.?
I got her out of there, retracted that jack and started over.
Fired up the diesel and let it air up. Shut er down and started the auto level process again.
It worked!
Do I have confidence that I fixed it? Of course not. Does this story tell you guys anything? I hope so.
The good news....I'm learning every day!

Tells me that whatever connection you touched that woke the jack up was either loose or corroded...or both.  If it's a blade connector, pinch the female to tighten it and add a bit of dielectric grease.  That should take care of it for a while.

It does sound like a poor connection... somewhere. I hate those kinds of problems, because they can be difficult to track down. Since it came to life, it sounds like you're on the right track.

Kev

The "other" thing to remember is the trans must be in neutral,, the parking brake must be on,, and the engine must be running.>>>Dan

BINGO JEFF<< a "motor" is an electrical device,,an "engine" is what pushes your motorhome. We have found the problem!>>>D

Update, hot off the press!
Our 3ft of snow is mostly gone, at least the coach and driveway. Finally had the opportunity to get back on this.
One of the posts on one of the relays...I was able to work a little wiggle out of one of the wires. Pulled the 2 nuts holding the wire on, pulled the wire, wire brushed both. Re-fastened the wire. Re- connected the chassis batteries and said a little prayer.
Bam! Jacks jumped to life without hesitation.
I really can't believe it worked! I have some mechanical ability but these rigs are foreign to me.
Thanks to all who contributed. You deserved an update!

Back
Top Bottom