Distribution panel recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nomadb1

Rebuilding an antique trailer.  Starting the electrical from scratch we have purchased this inverter.
http://a.co/3uwOO8i

I've been looking at this distribution panel.
http://a.co/8xQJkMa

Is there a way to use the breakers in this panel so one or more of them could be run from the inverter output? Would I need a secondary panel for the inverted loads? I would prefer to be able to keep all my loads in one panel.

In a semi-related issue the plan is to use the inverter to power a residential fridge while underway. The start power requirements for the fridge via inverter is something like 68 amp draw on the battery. If I have two 6volt GC batteries will it work? Will the start draw pull the voltage so low the inverter will trip?

Thanks,
Brian

Unless you want all the 120v circuits to be inverter-supplied, you will need a secondary panel for the inverter circuits.  If you are planning on having 50A shore power, that's the way to go.

If you make them all inverter circuits, you still need to add a supply breaker for the 120v input to the inverter/charger. Further, that limits your total power capacity to the inverter sustained max, which is only 2000 watts.

A sudden 68A DC draw might indeed drop the battery voltage low enough to trip the inverter's DC low limit (usually 10.5v). Most residential fridges don't actually need that much, but it's hard to predict without experimenting.

The usual way to wire this would be a 50A/240 shore cord to the WFCO panel, and a 20A breaker from there to feed the inverter.  Then a small sub-panel with 2-4 120v branch circuits fed from the inverter. That gives you up to 2400 watts through the inverter when on shore power and 2000 watts when inverting (up to 6000w brief peak).

Gary is the expert.

May I simply add that is the panel I have in my FW and I am very happy with it.
As you probably know, a KEY part of the inverter is the Auto Transfer switch.  It is required to make this simple to wire.  ( I learned that from Gary)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom