Towing with Tundra 1794 Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mncst

Hi all, wondering if anyone else has a Toyota Tundra 1794 edition and what are you towing with it? DH and I are looking at buying a hard side TT and just want to know what other people feel safe towing with their Tundras. We have our eye on a Salem 27RKSS which is 33 feet long with a GVRW of 7220. My husband feels like that would be pushing the limit and of course the salesman says it?s fine. Lol. Any thoughts? Thank you.

What's the tow rating and payload (carrying capacity) of that Tundra? It needs to be able to pull the 7220 lb GVWR and carry the trailer tongue weight (10% of 7220) plus passengers and gear.  I suspect your husband is right that the limits will be pushed. It may do the job, but you may not be all that happy with it.

Welcome to the Forum!

As Gary said, the PAYLOAD or Cargo Carrying Capacity must be able to carry a 725 - 800 lb hitch wt, plus a 80 lb WD hitch PLUS the weight of you and DH AND all other cargo in the truck.  I suspect DH is right.

Mncst said:
Hi all, wondering if anyone else has a Toyota Tundra 1794 edition and what are you towing with it? DH and I are looking at buying a hard side TT and just want to know what other people feel safe towing with their Tundras. We have our eye on a Salem 27RKSS which is 33 feet long with a GVRW of 7220. My husband feels like that would be pushing the limit and of course the salesman says it?s fine. Lol. Any thoughts? Thank you.

I'm not sure about the 1794 edition, but I towed a 25ft 7000lb TH for many years without trouble with my SR5 trim model.
the hitch max load ( from Toyota ) is 1000 lbs, the max tow is 10,000 lbs and sadly the load capacity was 1400 lbs.
not too much of an issue as we loaded the TH instead of the truck.. !

my TH had a loaded tongue weight of 680 lbs and my WD hitch was a Reese pro series 1000/10000.
this was an extremely stable and pleasant tow even at higher speeds and with cross winds.

that said, I have towed heavier with the Tundra and it's really not good above 7000lbs in my opinion.
also the extra length ( 33ft ) is really going to put you at a disadvantage in cross winds.
I would suggest you either go smaller, 28ft or less or upgrade to an 250 or 2500 series truck.

as for the salesman.. well they will say anything to sell... perhaps you should ask him if he would tow it
with the Tundra fully loaded with his family..? bet he declines..

Not sure about your trailers specs but my buddy traded his Tundra on a Ram2500 after pulling his Attitude with these specs the

23 fb

http://attitudetoyhaulers.com/attitude/attitude-pro-lite/

Hope this helps

Thanks all for the help! Looks like we will be looking at something smaller now. We really wanted an outdoor kitchen and are having trouble finding a smaller TT with one but safety first! The search continues!

Mncst said:

That version has the least amount of payload and towing ratings, and shouldn't be the model chosen if you have plans for serious towing.  The double Cab SR5 5.7 V8 is the sweet spot for serious towing with the Tundra.  You have 1,440lbs of payload, so you are short of payload capacity on that versus.  The SR5 Double Cab has ~ 1,700lbs of payload.

We pull a 30? TT that scales out at around 6000-6100 lbs when loaded, depending on the trip in question. We?ve put right at 20,000 miles on it with our ?16 Tundra and Equalizer wdh and have not had an issue with the ability of the truck to comfortably and safely pull the load. I will add, however, that we are close to the max payload of the truck and I don?t think I?d want to go to a much bigger or heavier trailer.

Mncst,
    You could look at the Coachmen Apex line of TT's.  We were going that route with the Tundra we have due to the smaller engine and tow capacity. However due to a  problem  with the Tundra that has continued to plague us for the last few years, we're looking at get a different TV.  Apex has a 25 foot model with an outdoor kitchen that has a dry weight of around 4900 pounds.  Just a thought.  I looked up the 1794 model and it said towing capacity was 8800 to 9500lbs max.  That's more than our current Tundra can pull (7900).  I think Apex had a 28 foot model that was lighter than the Salem.  Just a thought.  I've learned a lot here by asking questions and studying the library.  There are lots of TT models out there to choose from. Work the numbers (check out the library; towing and towable; "how much can I tow") and you might find a TT to fit your TV specs. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom