Newbie Battery Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nate in FL

First all, thanks to everyone for your wisdom. We haven't even made our maiden voyage yet and I've been able to get advice on several questions. Here goes another...!!

Due to scheduling, we had the unfortunate luck of buying our brand new RV and driving it straight to storage for 5 weeks. We do not have electric available at our storage lot. My question is three parts:

1. Should I expect my power jack battery to be dead when I go to hitch it for the first time after sitting for @5 weeks?
2. Should I expect there to be enough juice to open my slides (3) for packing purposes off the battery?
3. If no to either of these questions, will hooking the trailer to my running truck power up the battery enough to accomplish these tasks and how much time should I expect it to take to provide sufficient power to the battery if needed?

Thanks! I am just trying to be prepared for what I may encounter when I go to take it out for the first time.

The power jack and slides both operate from the main house battery(s), they don't have their own batteries.  What kind of house batteries do you have, a single 12 volt battery, a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries, or ??

Your trailer likely has several parasitic loads that will drain the battery over several weeks.  If it has a master disconnect switch, using that when you put the trailer in storage will disconnect the batteries and preserve their charge for at least several months.

If you don't have a disconnect switch, removing the wires from the battery's negative post will do the same thing.

Your truck will supply 12 volt current when It's plugged into the trailer with the engine running, but it may take 10-20 minutes to build up enough of a charge in a dead trailer battery to let you operate the slide.

#1: YES
#2: NO
#3 MAYBE - depends on how "dead" and how long the truck alternator runs.

You might be better off using jumper cable from the truck battery to the trailer battery - more current can flow and less voltage loss. The trailer wiring is usually of limited capacity and might even blow a fuse on the truck side if the battery is very low in charge.

Your batteries may not be fully charged when you pick it up.

As Lou mentioned....I would disconnect the batteries when you store it.  Then you have a fighting chance.

I'd make a run to the storage lot, pull the battery, and bring it to your house and put it on a charger. Might save a hassle trying to charge it there.

What Gary Said. Using JUMPER cables off the truck will get the jacks working faster.

For now. Remove all wires from the battery NEGATIVE terminal when in storage, if more than one use a Twist tie or other means to tie them all together so you don't forget one when you re-connect.  Also paint all lines to the NEGETIVE terminal black, Use RED on the positives (nail polish works) just to help remember what goes where.
If you don't wish to pain the wires themselves.. You can use red and black split loom or paint bread ties.

I had that happen on my first night on a road trip.  The furnace ran all night on just batteries.  I thought I could just hook up to the truck in the AM and be on my way if my batteries went dead.  No dice.

I had a NOCO jump starter (GB150) that I hooked up to the fifth wheel batteries.  That powered the jacks and slides and I was on my way.  The truck power is really just like a trickle charger, maybe just a bit more.

Or you can use a portable generator and a normal automotive battery charger to get them charged back up if needed.

Jim828 said:
I'd make a run to the storage lot, pull the battery, and bring it to your house and put it on a charger. Might save a hassle trying to charge it there.
I 2nd this. Quickest, easiest method to insure jacks and slideout will operate.
Another option is to buy a 2nd battery and take it with to storage. Use jumper wires to connect to trailer.

One thing I carry is a Jump Start battery 900 amps peak.

it can start my car. Start my Generator Heck, it has enough OOMPH to crank the 8.1L Vortec.. I used an older one (1,000 amps peak) to help crank up a tow truck a few times (I kid you not). and it can run my main slide in and out if the control system fails (and that's why I bought it).

IT will also handle retraction of your jacks, Extension I'm not sure (it's only asbout 25 Amp Hour) but it will retract them.

Thanks everyone...

I definitely should have mentioned that my TT has a battery disconnect which I switched to the "battery off" setting when storing it.  I also turned off the power inverter just to be safe. Does this give me any more of a fighting chance???

I guess I will learn through my first experience either way. I do like the idea of taking the battery home with me or carrying a portable jump starter. If it's dead when I get there I may use the jumper cable to the truck battery idea. All great ideas, thanks!

Your in FL - the Sunshine State - right?

How about a Solar trickle charger?  That might very well keep them charged up enough and it's basically free after the initial cost.

I have given consideration to solar powered trickle chargers.... I have plenty of sunlight where I am at to use solar. Does anyone have experience using these? Any recommendations on a particular model? I am at the point of debating between this or just taking the battery home with me to charge from a wall outlet. Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom