Holding/playing with a pick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These might be just the ticket for you Tom. They have a thick textured holding area and a thinner picking area. Also made by Dunlop.

https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-449P-73-Max-Grip-Standard-Players/dp/B003B01QSG/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1523378496&sr=8-23&keywords=picks

Thanks Tom, they look like the right thing. Better than the "rubber grip" ones I ordered earlier today.

Tom said:
Thanks Tom, they look like the right thing. Better than the "rubber grip" ones I ordered earlier today.
You are welcome, I hope they work for you. Picks are cheap so you can buy a bunch and try them out.

I ordered several different kinds and thicknesses. I talked to a guitarist friend today who suggested I get the thinnest/most flexible picks to learn. He described it as "a brush painting the strings", which made sense to me.

[quote author=SeilerBird]I don't like the thin ones because they throw off my timing.[/quote]

I can see how that could happen. Today I received two kinds of thin/flexible picks that I ordered; One has bumps/dimples in the holding area, and the other has rubber 'boots'. They both seem to work for me. These should get me going, and I can increase thickness as I get more practice.

Im with Seiler on the hard picks. Soft picks for me, tend to react much too slowly. They are more suited to strumming than picking. I used to use the vinyl "grippy", with the raised ribs. They help a lot for holding on to, but create kind of a slapping sound if played too hard. I have changed to hard plastic in recent years. There is a fellow locally where I live in Ontario that make picks out of turtle shells. I have never tried them, but apparently they are very expensive and sought after by the professional players. I play quite a bit of finger picking as well. I also have tried the finger picks in the past, with very little success. I hold my pick at a 90 degree angle to my thumb. It takes a bit of practice, but once you get on to it, it increases your picking speed quite a bit.

Thanks. I'm primarily strumming, so the soft picks work for me to learn to hold/use a pick on guitar. I can see that they'd be an issue for picking, and expect to 'graduate' to harder picks with practice.

I couldn't bring myself to using the snot stuff  :( Various brands/styles/thicknesses of picks have been arriving in the mail, and the Dunlop Max-Grip picks win hands down grip-wise.

I bought a dozen 'medium' picks a couple of years ago.  I still have most of them.  I loaned out a couple that were never returned.  I use picks so seldom there's little chance I'll need to buy more any time soon.

I mostly grow my own picks.  I use 'Healthy Hoof' (from Amazon) on them to make them stronger and less likely to split.  The darn stuff works! 

Russ, I'm starting to think you're a bit of a joker; All this snot and hoof stuff  ;D

Gorilla snot is yellow weather stripping cement, and he uses the Healthy Hoof (real stuff) on his finger nails to make them stronger so he can use them rather than finger picks.

I can be a bit of a jokester indeed.  But kdbgoat nailed it.  Sort of. 

Gorilla Snot (for guitarists and drummers) is REAL!  https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Snot-Original-Drumstick-Guitar/dp/B0002GL5S8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1524615415&sr=8-6&keywords=Gorilla+Snot

Healthy Hoof :  https://www.amazon.com/Gena-Healthy-Hoof-Cream-Ounce/dp/B0006Q00ZI/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1524616878&sr=8-1&keywords=Healthy+hoof  (Read the reviews!)

I haven't even started on nose grease for guitarists yet.

;D ;D ;D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom