Coach Heat Not Working - 2002 Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Top38

On my 02 Journey the coach heat is not working. Sound like an ignition issue, when I turn the heat on the fan kicks in, but not warm air. Outside at the exhaust I can hear the gas valve open and smell propane for a moment but I don't hear the ignition spark. Propane smell goes away shortly after so I would imagine that's the safety not detecting heat so it kills the propone flow. Reset this few times with the same results. Any ideas, bad spark or control board? How would you tell what is causing not spark?

thanks

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

My propane furnace had about the same symptoms. Since we were on the road I had a mobile RV guy troubleshoot, he installed an aftermarket (and supposedly better) control board - back in business.

John has the right idea :)) :)) All too often people who know nothing about heaters just start replacing parts. That is a really stupid way to troubleshoot unless you own a parts house.

If it opens the gas valve, it was trying to light. I'd start with the igniter and determine if it sparks. You can usually here the SNAP! of the spark.

I've written an article that explains how an RV furnace works and what the components are. It's in the RVForum Library at http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Furnace_Trouble-2.pdf

Gray,

No snap sounds which is why I was leaning towards the module board. Is there a way I can check the output from the coil on the board to the igniter during startup? Would a bad sail switch also allow the gas valve to open but no spark?
I will take a look at your article also.
thanks

Gary

Just found a wiring diagram for my furnace, the thermostatic signal tees off to the motor relay and to the Sail and High Limit switch before it gets to the module board but because I am getting a  propane smell/gas valve is opening, I assume that means both the sail and limit switches are good so it's either the module board not providing power to the igniter or the igniter is bad...

Would you agree?

John

Going to try tonight, weather may push it off till tomorrow though,,, My gut is the board or something stupid like a loose igniter or critters blocking propane proper flow. Although a bad igniter is also possible, but my money is elsewhere.

Took furnace out tonight, as expected the sail and limit switches are good. Igniter looks OK and has no resistance from the connection at the module to the tip of it, hope that means its good. The module looks like it has a small transformer that shows some issues on one side. Before I removed the furnace I tried it one more time and no ignition, just a propane smell till the gas valve shut off. No critters in the burner area also. Going to get a new module next.

I put the new board in and she's working now! Got one from Dinasours Electronics.

Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom