replace Linoleum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordiegaffer

The Linoleum in my 2006 Sightseer 29 R is cracking and needs to be replaced i would like to use a vinyl plank can i glue this down and how do you butt it up to the carpet  any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

We had carpeting replaced with LVT. Left carpeting on the slide and the drivers area but replaced all the rest with the LVT. It is glued down and looks great. Keep in mind that LVT is a bit soft and can scratch easily especially if moving things around. We have a 1/2 box of planks left and very easy to replace any damaged. Just heat up with a heat gun, pull up the damaged plank and replace. The glue will actually soften a bit so the new one will adhere.

Well worth the upgrade IMO especially if one has pets.

Our 2008 TT vinyl floor cracked right down the middle of the floor due to excessive heat build up inside one summer while it was stored.  My wife and I pulled it out easily as it was only glued down around the edges and we just cut it out with a utility knife and a sharp wood chisel.

We then bought 3/8" thick stranded bamboo floor and installed it.  I have a full wood shop with all the toys and the only really difficult part was angle cuts around the sink cabinet base.  We did leave a small gap for expansion and contraction and we did not glue it down and we did not installed the offered pad.  We did make a nice shoe molding to cover over the gap. If the floor needs to move it can easily because the end not against the cabinets extends under the carpet of the slide and the slide moves up and over the floor easily.

We did look at the vinyl plank floor but the colors available did not work well with our cabinets and the bamboo is almost a perfect match for our light oak cabinets.

We could not get a floor installer to do the job for less than $800 for only about 120sq ft.

Highway robbery.  It cost us $150 and 2 mornings working in rain and cold.

I used Allure vinyl plank flooring in our 5th wheel.  I did not remove the carpet under furniture in the slide.  This flooring has one long edge with about a 1" adhesive strip and same on end.  The area under the carpet on our slide isn't very flat so I had to use some silicon glue on one row of tiles which didn't have good contact on the adhesive strip and also since the floor floats, needed to use 1/4" round along the edge to cover the gap between flooring and wall which is needed for expansion.  I also have to use four 1/4" (6" wide and about 3" long" to put under the slide (on ends and two towards the middle) to keep the vinyl from getting scrapes.  I retract the slide about 18" then push the planks under and then finish retracting.  This is a common issue experienced by many when installing vinyl floor.  Your coach may not have this issue...

Attachments

• new_floor_sm.jpg
    new_floor_sm.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom