fiberglass cracking & bad door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

floyd2u

Well as some of you know I have been looking at A 2005 sea breeze XL
There is some hairline cracking in the gel coat. As this dealer is 3 hrs away he mentioned about the wood on the door being wet at some time he didn't want me to drive 6 hrs round trip without me being aware of it. I am thinking the door window was leaking. so I will attach the pictures & please give me some input. He says the rest of the coach is good .

Attachments

• 1_1767_2290472_54567035.jpg
    1_1767_2290472_54567035.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 1_1767_2290472_54028734.jpg
    1_1767_2290472_54028734.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 49
  • 1_1767_2290472_54028728.jpg
    1_1767_2290472_54028728.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 45
The hairline cracking is probably defective fiberglass from Crane Composites. A lot of coaches used it, including National RV, Fleetwood, Newmar & Monaco. It's a cosmetic defect, actually under the paint, and not the source of leaks. 

The signs of water intrusion are obvious and a window or windshield is often the culprit. That appears to be on either the forward or rear side of the step well, though, and I would expect a leaky door window to damage the door panel, not a spot further away. Hard to guess without a through inspection.

Thanks Gary that's what i was thinking A leaking widow can that door be taken apart & rebuilt by owner?

Floyd

If the gelcoat is cracking, and not just the decals, I'd pass on that coach. You can probably fix the door if you're handy, but he IS asking way too much for the coach in that condition. My 03 model don't have that problem. If it could be bought for mid 20s, it might be worth it but I sure wouldn't pay anywhere near retail for it with those cracks in the gelcoat. 

I thought those were just cracks in the decals, some of them do that from the sun. I just went and looked at some of his pic again and it does look like it is the gelcoat cracking.

That's the bottom of the door Gary.

Thanks Charlie i wasn't going to pay what he wants but I doubt he will go into the twenty's I'm starting to wish i didn't sell my good old C lol

Floyd

floyd2u said:
Thanks Charlie i wasn't going to pay what he wants but I doubt he will go into the twenty's I'm starting to wish i didn't sell my good old C lol

Floyd
Plenty of good coachs out there. There is a Dolphin down by St. Louis reasonable, but it's more of a drive for you. Go look at that one and see just how bad it is. It does look like a very clean coach other wise. They just can't expect to get retail out of it unless they fix it. If you do go look at it push on the sides where it is cracking, and make sure it is solid. That coach was probably right at 100 grand new.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom