1990 Tioga with a curved roof... why are there few curved roofs on class c's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thinkerbell

I know that is a long subject line, but here is where we are.

We're looking at a class C Tioga. It is a 1990 26' model, and it has a domed roof (like a school bus top) and fewer seams. I had given up on class C's (too many water issues over the cab), but this design seems to make so much sense! I'm in love with this rv for its practicality as well as its looks.

Here's my question: This appears to be a great idea for RV roofs (the dome/exterior curved top and less seams).

That said, where are all of the domed/curved exterior roof class c's? Was 1990 the only year Tioga made this model? Did they decide it wasn't cost effective, or was it a bomb?

There's a reason I haven't seen anymore of these, but I can't inagine what it would be.

We're having an rv guy out tomorrow to go over the rig with a fine-toothed comb before we buy and we're ready to walk away if there's anything wrong that we can't see.

Still, why aren't there more roofs out there on clacc c's like this Tioga has?

Here's a pictureHere's a picture of an rv like the one we're looking at. It's rear shows what I'm talking about (and oh what a rear). :D

I really appreciate any thoughts you have!

I'm not sure why the Class C's wouldn't have one but my 93 Class A has a slight curve to the roof, about the same as the one in the picture.

Woody

Sorry about all of the typos in the OP. So much for that English major.  ::)

Thanks for weighing in, Woody!

It seems like such a practical way to make an rv, especially when class c's are so noted for water damage over the cab. Hubby surmises they probably were too expensive to build. I just want to make sure the reason isn't more to the fact that they weren't built well.

I want to be an optimist, but can't afford it.

I have teenagers.  ;D

For several years Fleetwood used a domed type roof on most all their coaches. Yes it makes sense.  Our previous 93 Bounder Diesel as well as our current American Eagle have the domed roof.

I think I love you, Ron! You're going to make my hubby a very happy man. I am so relieved to read your post!

You and Woody are the best!

Thanks so much for helping a newbie!  :)

Also, the old Travco and Gmc of the70's had them.  Also the 88 and 89 FL Expedition that was recalled by Fl due to overheating on the gas pusher.  Guy from Arkansas bought the recalls and re-manufactured them. slick rigs. the view try to copy and paste http://www.special-interest-veh.com/.  I have driven 3 of these units and was some of the best driving of an unit I've ever driven, bar none. 

Hi, Shayne! It is nice to meet you! Thanl you for sharing your experience with the type of roof we're looking at on the rv. It looks like the rv is a definite go so long as the rv guy gives us the thumbs up. He's worth every penny!

Thank you, Ron. I appreciate how kind and helpful you are here.  :)

We should point out to you that the Class C's that end up leaking mostly leak where the coach body joins the cab section. I have seen leaks up under the cabover portion and on the sides. When traveling down the road in a storm the forward motion of the coach will force water anywhere there is a gap in the seam or weatherseal, however small.

Woody

Thank you, woody! The amount of water damage to the last rv we owned was so devastatingly bad that the cab was pretty much useless. We're not going to make that same mistake (in buying an rv with water damage/leaks) again!

We're going to immediately reseal the rubber roof on that baby as soon as we buy it (barring our rv guy telling us there's something seriously wrong with it).

Hopefully our combined education and knowledge of leaks is going to make this the last rv we'll ever buy!

Thanks so much for your knowledge of leaks and class c's! You are wonderful.  :)

Thank you, Ron! Question: Is it noticable when you cover the seams, or is there a way to mask it? Hubby had looked into it, but wasn't sure if it would be obnoxious?

I really appreciate you helping us!!!

The edge of the tape will grab dirt over time and it will become increasingly visible. As Ron says, it's less of an issue for roof repairs.

Thank you both so much! My husband and I really appreciate your help, Ron and Tom! You just saved us from exteme tackiness. (I wish you could have helped with the previous fashion statement we made with the last rv).  ;D

The Etherbond won't be seen if you recoat the roof properly. With Kool Seal or the likes there of.

Thank you all so much! I will tell my husband what you have said. We're definitely having the top resealed in the next week or so.

That said, I am proud to report that we are now the very happy owners of a 1990 Tioga with a curved roof.

The rv inspector we hired came out, spent two hours going over the rig with a fine-toothed comb, and he told us for that price he'd buy it! It is a GREAT rig!

Thank you so much for your help in this matter! I am so excited. I know this is going to be our forever RV. I can't wait to decorate!!!

:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom