Watching Mark Zuckerberg on The Hill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[quote author=winona]I can see why Zuckerberg wouldn't answer at which hotel he was staying --- would anyone of his wealth and fame?[/quote]

The Senator was making a point (to Zuckerberg)  ;)

Although, Senator Durbin's questions were interesting, I dont believe they made a valid point.  Now if every morning Facebook asked you where you stayed last night, would be one thing, but when people post where they stayed last night, without being asked is quite another matter.

The 'point' was the sharing/availability of data that an individual doesn't want to share with the world. We can agree to disagree  ;D

winona said:
I deleted my fb account years ago -- was tired of seeing what others were having for lunch or the drama in their lives or how long they were gone on vacation and where the key was hidden.  I had to google how to delete the account as fb only tells how to deactivate.

Ain't that the truth! Years ago, at the urging of my daughters, I joined Facebook but deleted my account a week later after being inundated with... stuff that I couldn't care less about. I value my family and friends dearly, but also my time and sanity. When I told my daughters that I dumped Facebook, because the whole social media thing wasn't for me, they immediately responded by saying, "No Facebook, but you're on the RVForum every day." Ouch! (Sometimes the truth hurts)

Kev

Several years ago I asked our 30-year old grandson why he didn't respond to my emails. His answer: "we don't communicate that old-fashioned way"  :eek:

Tom said:
The 'point' was the sharing/availability of data that an individual doesn't want to share with the world.
:)

When my privacy is balanced against billion dollar empires, I think we know who?s gonna lose. And in my opinion while these hearings may look good to the constituents, those same senators are taking ?campaign money? from the very companies that use FB and Google to advertise their wares. IMHO, these hearings are all for show. A couple weeks from now it?ll be, ?OK, we made it look like we did something there, what else can we talk about?? (Boy am I getting cynical in my old age  ::) )

Sun2Retire said:
:)

When my privacy is balanced against billion dollar empires, I think we know who?s gonna lose. And in my opinion while these hearings may look good to the constituents, those same senators are taking ?campaign money? from the very companies that use FB and Google to advertise their wares. IMHO, these hearings are all for show. A couple weeks from now it?ll be, ?OK, we made it look like we did something there, what else can we talk about?? (Boy am I getting cynical in my old age  ::) )
I agree Scott. These hearing are all for show. They will not accomplish anything except giving FB a ton of publicity.

Tom said:
The 'point' was the sharing/availability of data that an individual doesn't want to share with the world. We can agree to disagree  ;D

As far as FB is concerned unless you set your security to certain parameters anything on your page will be seen by most anybody. Even your profile. Go to anyone?s page and click on ?About? and their entire profile is for the reading. Those that want privacy should not join FB or any other social media. I joined FB because I like to debate (some call it arguing) and keep up with the kids and friends around the world.

I have many friends and family that make a point to post their daily lives on Facebook.
OTOH, I use it to share the occasional recipe. You can't data-mine what doesn't exist.
If the conglomerates are interested in how I prepare Chicken Tikka Masala, more power to 'em......

HappyWanderer said:
I'm surprised at the outrage. Is there anyone on the planet unaware that Facebook is a data mining application, and everything you read and write is tracked?

And yet people are more than willing to post personal information and live their entire lives on social media.
:)) :)) :)) :)) and then whine about their 'privacy.'

Bill

Here's something that many people don't realize are costing them more than their privacy on Facebook. How many times have you seen polls or friendly questions that "someone" starts to find out if you can remember the name of your first grade teacher or your first dog's name or the street you grew up on, and then ask you to forward it to your friends? The answers to these friendly questions are being collected by people who want to steal your identity because they are the same questions many secure websites ask you to prove you are who you say you are. It's a way to get your personal information for your banking, your credit cards and your retirement accounts. But in the guise of just a friendly game that you can share with everyone you know.

BinaryBob said:
If the conglomerates are interested in how I prepare Chicken Tikka Masala, more power to 'em......

I would be interested. Guess I'll have to create a FB account  ;)

SargeW said:
. I was a LEO for 25 years.

Not familiar with that acronym  ???

A "geek" friend of mine told me, "If the service is free, YOU are the product."  ;) :eek:

John Stephens said:
Here's something that many people don't realize are costing them more than their privacy on Facebook. How many times have you seen polls or friendly questions that "someone" starts to find out if you can remember the name of your first grade teacher or your first dog's name or the street you grew up on, and then ask you to forward it to your friends? The answers to these friendly questions are being collected by people who want to steal your identity because they are the same questions many secure websites ask you to prove you are who you say you are. It's a way to get your personal information for your banking, your credit cards and your retirement accounts. But in the guise of just a friendly game that you can share with everyone you know.

An excellent point. Many of these ?security questions? are easily researchable.
(Where you went to high school/ city you were born in/ etc.)
Hackers use this information to reset your password.
Another reason for using a password manager that stores these responses. My answers are set to absurd untraceable words. Did you know I was born in the third ring of Saturn?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom