rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Watching Mark Zuckerberg on The Hill  (Read 2729 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
Watching Mark Zuckerberg on The Hill
« on: April 10, 2018, 07:16:52 PM »
Interesting watching Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg testifying on The Hill today. He was obviously well-coached, put on a tie, and suppressed his normal cocky character. He handled himself much better than I expected, but was clearly rattled by some questions, and couldn't answer a number of others. It continues in The House tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Mr. Zuckerberg has refused to appear before the UK Government to answer questions. Might be something to do with the tougher legislation passed by the European governments.

The movie The Social Network is a good watch on the history of Facebook and its founder.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 07:30:42 AM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Watching Mark Zuckerberg on The Hill
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 07:26:11 PM »
A great set of questions was:

"Can you tell us which hotel you stayed at last night?"  No.

"If you've messaged anybody this week, would you share with us the names of the people you've messaged?"  No.

"That might be what this is all about — your right to privacy".

retusn

• ---
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 09:18:46 PM »
I was also interested to see how he did.  I agree that he couldn't answer some questions, but with over 25k people working at facebook, it's like any other company, government entity, or even a family.  Dad doesn't know everything that's going on.  I did like him asking some of them questions in return.

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 10:55:05 PM »
I'm surprised at the outrage. Is there anyone on the planet unaware that Facebook is a data mining application, and everything you read and write is tracked?

And yet people are more than willing to post personal information and live their entire lives on social media.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 11:04:22 PM »
 :))
Betty Brewer

see where we are

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 02:37:38 AM »
I'm surprised at the outrage. Is there anyone on the planet unaware that Facebook is a data mining application, and everything you read and write is tracked?

And yet people are more than willing to post personal information and live their entire lives on social media.
X2

My OH says we're all becoming "curtain twitchers".....   😂
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back home in Scotland awaiting May 2019

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 02:56:14 AM »
The first time I signed on, I warned family and friends that FB is very intrusive and could share or provide access to your data. Unfortunately, folks didn't/couldn't see the danger. This isn't the first time folks' data has been shared without their knowledge. Privacy settings haven't always been easy or obvious to figure out. One thing at issue this time around is the ability of a 3rd party app to mine the data of 600K members and apparently 87M of their friends.

The next scary thing is the plan to use facial recognition tools to identify people in photos and link them with their personal data and friends.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 05:56:55 AM »
And the same question I asked in another topic, is Google any different than Facebook when it comes to collecting data?
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 06:10:00 AM »
And the same question I asked in another topic, is Google any different than Facebook when it comes to collecting data?

Probably not, except for the extent that people voluntarily reveal personal data on Facebook.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • We go where our wheels take us!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 06:28:59 AM »
Google is very different from Facebook in one very important aspect. Google does NOT sell or make individual data available to anyone. Their entire business model is built around selling aggregated "eyeballs" to advertisers, not personal data. Google uses the data they collect to place a client's ads where they will be seen by the most people that fit the clients specifications. The clients are never allowed access to any specifics about individual Google users. Google really is pretty benign in comparison to Facebook.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 06:42:35 AM »
Don't forget Amazon.  I was shopping the other day and noticed it said, X  dollars available in your Cash Back rewards from Discover.  Hmmm, I get it at checkout, but they know what I have sitting there, hence, my guess, do they know what I buy with my Discover card as well.  Fortunately, I trust no-one online.  I have a Discover card with a small limit hat I use for all online transactions.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 07:13:47 AM »
FB says they don't  sell your data per se. They use your data to target who sees which ads. They charge advertisers for access to a targeted market.

Separately, they've allowed 3rd party apps access your data, supposedly with you permission; There has been no control over what the app developers did with your data. This will supposedly change, but for many the genie is already out of the bottle, and there's no knowing what data has been collected.

_Rusty_

• ---
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 07:14:37 AM »

And all the while companies like "Ancestors" actually charge you to catalog your DNA so future "Orwellian" societies can track your family, your movements, and activities.  Even today the government has used these programs to identify relatives of criminals so as to help locate and detain suspects.  I wouldn't doubt the NSA actually funds these companies so as to build this massive database. (sounds like a conspiracy, doesn't it?)  :-\
bill & ilean
2004 Tiffen Allegro Bay 37db
Workhorse 8.1/Allison 1000
Near Punxsutawney, PA
(for now)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 08:09:35 AM »
When you registered your Discover Card with Amazon, Discover shared your account status with them.  Probably much more too, but neither are saying.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 08:53:28 AM »
We are in the era of information overload. If someone is savvy enough they will get your information, regardless of how hard you try to protect it. I’m not saying you shouldn’t protect your information since the low hanging fruit will always be taken first. Folks cannot get information from your FB account unless you put it on there. I don’t have anything on mine that I don’t want everyone to know. My FB info is common knowledge. People can look at your profile on this forum and see what you are willing to share. If you don’t want your information out there, buy a safe and keep it in the closet with all your stuff in it. Don’t let anyone know the combo. Pay cash for everything. Don’t keep your money in the bank. Banks can be hacked.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 10:44:56 AM »
I tend to view the info that is mostly gathered as non threatening. Like what products I buy, where I like to go, my political opinions (which I don't talk about much).  Does Amazon send me offers for stuff I may want to buy? Yep. If I am interested, I look at the ads, if not I just delete and move on. I do apply many safeguards to protect my financial information, but realize even that is not 100% safe.  Shoot, if the NSA can get hacked, no one is completely safe. 

I try to take a reasonable approach to the overall situation. Shoot much of the information that FB can get on me I have posted here on this forum many times. I was a LEO for 25 years. I gave up way more information to join those ranks than I ever have on any on line forum. 

I just don't put every thought that pops into my head on line. Some live for it like the newer generations. I guess we can all blame Bill Gates for getting this computer age shifted into high gear.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 11:09:56 AM »
I didn't have much personal information in my Facebook profile, but I decided to delete it anyway.  One thing I found is actually deleting an account is more involved than just deactivating it.

The procedure to deactivate your account is straightforward, but it just makes your account invisible to other users.  All of your information stays with Facebook, it just stops others from routinely connecting with you.  You can go back and reactivate the account at any time by just logging in to it. 

Deletion is another step beyond that, and it is hidden elsewhere, seperate from the more visible deactivation option.  You have to log into a seperate deletion web site, the option to delete the account is not available from within the normal Facebook interface.  After you request deletion your account becomes deactivated for 14 days.  If you access the account during that time, the deletion request is aborted and your information remains on Facebook's servers indefinitely.

I'm hoping deletion actually erases my information from Facebook's records.  If it does, I may try it again in the future.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 01:52:57 PM by Lou Schneider »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 11:18:00 AM »
I'm hoping deletion actually erases my information from Facebook's records.

When asked, Zuckergerg said several times yesterday that your data is deleted when your account is deleted. No mention of the 14 days delay.

winona

• ---
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 11:24:33 AM »
I didn't have much personal information in my Facebook profile, but I decided to delete it anyway.  One thing I found is actually deleting an account is more involved than just deactivating it.

The procedure to deactivate your account is straightforward, but it just makes your account invisible to other users.  All of your information stays with Facebook, it just stops others from routinely connecting with you.  You can go back and reactivate the account at any time by just logging in to it. 

Deletion is another step beyond that, and it is hidden elsewhere, seperate from the more visible deactivation option.  After you request deletion your account becomes deactivated for 14 days.  If you access the account during that time, the deletion request is aborted and your information remains on Facebook's servers indefinitely.

I'm hoping deletion actually erases my information from Facebook's records.  If it does, I may try it again in the future.

I deleted my fb account years ago -- was tired of seeing what others were having for lunch or the drama in their lives or how long they were gone on vacation and where the key was hidden.  I had to google how to delete the account as fb only tells how to deactivate.

I do miss keeping up with some people -- my high school classmates, etc. but stay in touch with email and a real phone call!

Found it interesting that many on the Hill were unfamiliar with the ins and outs of fb.  I can see why Zuckerberg wouldn't answer at which hotel he was staying --- would anyone of his wealth and fame?
Winnebago Trend
Dorothy and Bailey, my big loveable lab

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 11:34:42 AM »
Here's an article that explains the difference between deactivating and deleting a Facebook account.  FB states there's a 14 day waiting period before the account is actually deleted, the article points out it can take up to 90 days for your information to actually be wiped off the servers.  This is confirmed in the Terms and Conditions you're required to agree to when you delete the account.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/how-to-delete-facebook-account-2950145
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 02:12:43 PM by Lou Schneider »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 11:38:26 AM »
Quote from: winona
I can see why Zuckerberg wouldn't answer at which hotel he was staying --- would anyone of his wealth and fame?

The Senator was making a point (to Zuckerberg)  ;)

PJ Stough

• ---
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 11:46:13 AM »
Although, Senator Durbin's questions were interesting, I dont believe they made a valid point.  Now if every morning Facebook asked you where you stayed last night, would be one thing, but when people post where they stayed last night, without being asked is quite another matter.
PJ Stough   Iowa
2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 11:51:08 AM »
The 'point' was the sharing/availability of data that an individual doesn't want to share with the world. We can agree to disagree  ;D

PJ Stough

• ---
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 11:52:30 AM »

The 'point' was the sharing/availability of data that an individual doesn't want to share with the world. We can agree to disagree  ;D
PJ Stough   Iowa
2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2018, 11:55:12 AM »
I deleted my fb account years ago -- was tired of seeing what others were having for lunch or the drama in their lives or how long they were gone on vacation and where the key was hidden.  I had to google how to delete the account as fb only tells how to deactivate.

Ain't that the truth! Years ago, at the urging of my daughters, I joined Facebook but deleted my account a week later after being inundated with... stuff that I couldn't care less about. I value my family and friends dearly, but also my time and sanity. When I told my daughters that I dumped Facebook, because the whole social media thing wasn't for me, they immediately responded by saying, "No Facebook, but you're on the RVForum every day." Ouch! (Sometimes the truth hurts)

Kev
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:09:30 PM by Kevin Means »
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 960 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2018, 12:22:04 PM »
Several years ago I asked our 30-year old grandson why he didn't respond to my emails. His answer: "we don't communicate that old-fashioned way"  :o

Back2PA

• Global Moderator
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2018, 12:35:36 PM »
The 'point' was the sharing/availability of data that an individual doesn't want to share with the world.

When my privacy is balanced against billion dollar empires, I think we know who’s gonna lose. And in my opinion while these hearings may look good to the constituents, those same senators are taking “campaign money” from the very companies that use FB and Google to advertise their wares. IMHO, these hearings are all for show. A couple weeks from now it’ll be, “OK, we made it look like we did something there, what else can we talk about?” (Boy am I getting cynical in my old age  ::) )
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
2011 F-250 Super Duty LB 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 12:53:01 PM »

When my privacy is balanced against billion dollar empires, I think we know who’s gonna lose. And in my opinion while these hearings may look good to the constituents, those same senators are taking “campaign money” from the very companies that use FB and Google to advertise their wares. IMHO, these hearings are all for show. A couple weeks from now it’ll be, “OK, we made it look like we did something there, what else can we talk about?” (Boy am I getting cynical in my old age  ::) )
I agree Scott. These hearing are all for show. They will not accomplish anything except giving FB a ton of publicity.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2018, 01:06:38 PM »

As far as FB is concerned unless you set your security to certain parameters anything on your page will be seen by most anybody. Even your profile. Go to anyone’s page and click on “About” and their entire profile is for the reading. Those that want privacy should not join FB or any other social media. I joined FB because I like to debate (some call it arguing) and keep up with the kids and friends around the world.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2018, 03:34:46 PM »
I have many friends and family that make a point to post their daily lives on Facebook.
OTOH, I use it to share the occasional recipe. You can't data-mine what doesn't exist.
If the conglomerates are interested in how I prepare Chicken Tikka Masala, more power to 'em......
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B
2016 Winnebago Adventurer 37F