spring helpers, counter-intuitive to weight distribution?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermanotorious

I recently read in a Q&A on etrailer.com that spring helpers can actually do more harm than good when using a weight distribution hitch. I happen to have helpers on my 3/4 ton and I'm wondering if I should take them off. It has to do with the helpers preventing the distribution bars from spreading the weight across more of the frame. Any thoughts or experience?

You adjust the weight distribution to distribute some of the weight to the front axle.  Read your instructions on ways to determine the correct amount.  After adjusted properly, it is possible that the rear of the tow vehicle might sag too much and additional springs may be needed.  If you add springs after proper weight distribution, you may need to readjust since the height changed.

Spring helpers ie timbren or supersprings wont hinder a weight dist hitch at all. They work as an overload helper.
What are you using?

I am no engineer, but it seems to me that if you were to inflate the adjustable air springs first, then apply and adjust the weight distributing hitch next, it would still work just the same.

SargeW said:
I am no engineer, but it seems to me that if you were to inflate the adjustable air springs first, then apply and adjust the weight distributing hitch next, it would still work just the same.

Well yes, but inflate to what pressure?  That is why you need to do it at least twice to learn how much sag to correct.

lynnmor said:
Well yes, but inflate to what pressure?  That is why you need to do it at least twice to learn how much sag to correct.

Put a torpedo level in the bed of the truck running fore and aft. Note the reading. Hook up the trailer and adjust the WDH as needed. Note the level reading and inflate the bags if needed until the original reading is reached. That will also keep the headlights properly aimed.

NY_Dutch said:
Put a torpedo level in the bed of the truck running fore and aft. Note the reading. Hook up the trailer and adjust the WDH as needed. Note the level reading and inflate the bags if needed until the original reading is reached. That will also keep the headlights properly aimed.

I responded to the guy that said inflate first, you and I said basically the same thing, adjust and inflate to restore height.

I'm talking about the one's you get from Autozone, with the square U-bolts that attach to one side of the leaf springs on the fore or aft section of the rear axle, nothing to inflate. I'm trying to find the Q&A so I can share that too

The amount of weight the hitch throws forward is the key.  Without the equalizing bars attached, the front end will rise when you lower the trailer tongue onto the ball because the hitch weight is teeter-tottering across the rear axle.

All the helper springs do is stiffen the rear suspension.  They don't change the teeter-totter effect on the front axle weight.

The problem arises if the extra height of the rear end due to the helper springs fool you into using insufficient bar tension to restore the weight lifted off of the front end.

Measure the height of the front end before you lower the tongue onto the hitch, then adjust the equalizing bars to throw enough weight forward to restore this height.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom