Towable vs. Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Munzy

I'm shopping for an RV. I've got plenty of time to research makes and models. I believe I'm aware of the obvious differences of owning A travel trailer vs motor home but I would appreciate other points of view from those of you who have gone through the purchase process and usage of both types. I'm going to look at towables that can be comfortably handled by an F150 outfitted for towing or a small class C.

Maintenance costs, two drive trains if you tow a toad.  Even sitting a MH needs to have regular service.  Cost of repairs.  Loss of hime when a breakdown occurs.
Tried a MH uears ago.  Did not take me long to figure out it was not for us.  Many people prefer them.  But thats the reason there are so many different types.  Personally I see a TT cheaper to buy, cheaper to own, easier to justify parked for weeks at a time between use.

Motorized towing a Jeep Wrangler. Why? Because Jeep. You can't bring your Jeep if your towing a trailer... :)

I've had 3 5ers, on my 3rd motor home (this one's a keeper) in the past 20 years. I'll probably never buy another a towable. The motor home is just TOO convenient. 

We've gone through the motorhome vs. trailer discussion a few times.  When we first got interested in RVing 40+ years ago we subscribed to both Motorhome magazine and Trailer Life so we could learn about them both.  Every time we ended up with a motorhome so I can't make a real-life comparison as owners of each, but it always boiled down to how we like to travel.  In my mind trailer owners are more inclined to park and stay for a while, whereas motorhomers are more inclined to travel and stay in places for shorter periods of time.  Many factors enter into this decision.  We tend to move every few days and like traveling inside the motorhome instead of going back and forth between a truck and a trailer.  Neither of us are "truck" people and we prefer towing a 4WD car that we can use off road as well as for comfortable sightseeing and shopping.

We also considered that we can stay inside the motorhome when we stop at rest areas, for example, where we don't feel all that comfortable with the surroundings or people we see.  Yes, we do like to get out and walk around at each stop but we don't HAVE to in dicey areas like you do with a truck and trailer.  You also don't get wet going back and forth if the weather is bad!  Although there are exceptions, motorhomes are more likely to have amenities like dual-pane windows, good generators, larger/more air conditioners, better heating systems, good storage, larger water and waste tanks, better insulation, etc.  Trailers tend to be built for summer vacation use (again there are exceptions) so they may not be as comfortable, especially in very hot or very cold destinations.  We also feel that motorhomes are easier to hook and unhook; not everyone agrees, but that's our perception.  We've never regretted our choices and we still like motorhomes best.

Only you can decide what factors are most important to you so make pro-con lists to help make the decision.  Attend as many RV shows as possible and talk about what you like and dislike about each type of RV.  Visiting RV factories also can be quite an eye opener because you see what's "under" the skin instead of just the superficial exterior.  In fact, I recommend trying to visit both a high end motorhome manufacturer and a couple of trailer manufacturer just so you can see the differences of how each one approaches making their product.  Good luck in your search!

ArdraF

There is one advantage to towing a trailer over driving a motorhome.  You get to your camp site and set up.  You can then drive your truck away to explore.  If you're driving a motor home, you've got to pack up to go anywhere.  Not to mention that unless you've got a tiny Class C like me, driving your big Class A into town to grocery shop is a bit of a pain.

I own both a small trailer and small Class C so that I can choose the weapon appropriate to the trip.

Cheers,

Dan K.

ArdraF said:
Every time we ended up with a motorhome so I can't make a real-life comparison as owners of each, but it always boiled down to how we like to travel.  In my mind trailer owners are more inclined to park and stay for a while, whereas motorhomers are more inclined to travel and stay in places for shorter periods of time.  Many factors enter into this decision.  We tend to move every few days and like traveling inside the motorhome instead of going back and forth between a truck and a trailer.  Neither of us are "truck" people and we prefer towing a 4WD car that we can use off road as well as for comfortable sightseeing and shopping.

Using the same overall thought process as Ardra pointed out, we've ended up with trailers. We are vacationers/weekenders and live in upstate NY so our RV gets used every few weeks from May to October and then sits all winter. This makes a trailer more cost-effective than a motorhome with the same amenities. I've also always had a pickup truck so this factored into the decision. Will retirement bring a larger truck and 5th wheel or a motorhome? At this point who knows but we'll consider each option when the time is right for us.

As Joe pointed out, it also depends on what phase of life you're in.  We're retired and are able to take longer trips so we live in our motorhome for long periods.  Joe is still working and is limited in his travel choices so he has something that suits his needs.  We're all happy with our choices because they're what we need or want now.

ArdraF

If you're driving a motor home, you've got to pack up to go anywhere.

Thats why I tow a car. And when Im driving my car around, my gas mileage is probably 10mph more than a truck you would need that is big enough to tow a towable.  Plust I can fit into smaller tighter parking spots. 

Another plus is that its easier to set up a motor home than it is a towable.

I have no desire to purchase a truck capable of towing a 5W, because I have no place to park it, and it would be used for no other purpose. Simply too impractical. As mentioned, needs and travel style vary widely.

In a motorhome, you can hear the stuff falling out of the fridge and cabinets when you take a corner too fast. If you have a towable, you don't discover the mess until you stop at a rest area to take a potty break, or until you get to your destination. No contest... motorhome.

Kev

As Ardra already mentioned its the how you travel part for us.
We actually have both a towable and a class A.
Towable is left on some property we own and serves as a more convenient and cheaper means of getting out camping. Also as it being shorter we take it when (length)size is an issue.
Class A is for traveling. Nothing like the view thru a motor home windshield. Our furkids also are way more comfortable in the MH. Set up is way easier. More storage.
We also tow a jeep when out in the MH. So having a driving around vehicle is not an issue for us.

Kevin Means said:
In a motorhome, you can hear the stuff falling out of the fridge and cabinets when you take a corner too fast. If you have a towable, you don't discover the mess until you stop at a rest area to take a potty break, or until you get to your destination. No contest... motorhome.

Too funny, and true!

I?ve never had a towable, but now that I?m fulltiming have talked to some owners and spent some time in some fifth wheels. I was quite surprised at the space in a 3 slide 33? fiver vs my 38? motorhome. Have tossed around whether a fiver might be nice. I concluded:

Fiver has much more headroom plus greatroom/living area feels more ?house like?. Advantage towable.
Lost shore power for a short time. I reached over, pushed a button, and genset was online. Advantage motorhome. (Although some toy haulers have a built in genset)
Previously mentioned big windshield. Advantage motorhome
Maneuvering into backin site. Advantage motorhome
Ride on the way, way better than pickup with big trailer. Advantage motorhome
Setup - disconnect toad, 5 min. Push a couple buttons I?m level. Advantage motorhome
Enroute instant access to bathroom/fridge. Advantage motorhome

But.... bumper and fivers are *extremely* popular so others have reached completely different conclusions

Bottom line, I think towable is a less expensive way to go, potentially providing more room when you get there. But more fiddly to setup and not as nice enroute (in my opinion, not shared by many)

We ended up in a motorhome because it was less expensive than our fifth wheel.

My pickup was on its last legs, and a suitable replacement was better than $50K. The only reason for me to own a truck was to pull the fiver, so it sat in the driveway otherwise. I actually had to park my car with the hood nosed under the pinbox of the camper in order to fit two cars and a pickup in the driveway!

We found a sweet deal on a motorhome and got rid of the truck and fifth wheel. Now there's only three vehicles in the driveway, and we get to deduct the interest on the motorhome, which we couldn't do with a pickup.

Each has their advantages and disadvantages, for me I like the integrated aspect of a motorhome.  If I pull into a campground during bad weather, I can pull into the RV site, level the coach with the hydraulic level jacks, lay back on the sofa turn on the TV powered by the inverter and relax until there is a break in the weather to go hook up the utilities.  Alternatively in a motorhome when caught in a 4 hour long traffic jam on I-10 outside Tallahassee FL thanks to someone flipping a travel trailer and blocking all west bound lanes, one can crank up the generator and air conditioner, kill the engine, cook a frozen pizza in the microwave, prop ones feet up on the sofa, tune in the local tv news to see what the hold up is, all with the ability to be back in the driver seat and ready to go in 10 seconds if the traffic starts moving.  (this happened to on the retrieval trip about half way home after buying my current coach)

It may also depend on what State you are in.  In Michigan, the cost for a license plate for a trailer is about $275.  One time fee, good forever.  In our motor home, the cost for the plate is $1200 annually.  We are considering switching to a trailer but we do love a motorhome.

Ah Jomo, it's only money.  8)
OP, you need to figure it out on your own. What we chose might not work for you.
We had all things on the table during our 2 year search process. We determined at least initially we are "move every few days" kinda folks. Mostly because we were in a hurry to see the country.
We chose motorhome because it's stupid simple to setup in a rain storm. I hit one button to lower jacks and 4 buttons to move slides. I travel with full fresh water and empty waste tanks. I have some solar and a decent battery bank. I don't have to go outside at all....next day maybe 8)
Think it through. You will figure it out.

Added thought...
I'm about to turn 65. Healthy, I live in north Michigan. I still snowmobile, ice fish, and hunt in the winter.
I'm not afraid to go outside. Just after covering 300+ miles, it's storming out, it's nice to hit a few buttons inside the coach and have your drink on choice.
It's what works for me! What works for you?

Things I considered.
With a trailer yes you have more bedroom space. or you can re-pourpose to storage if you wish, and more INDOOR storage would be nice.. But there are other considerations.

1: a 'Single unit" is easier to back into a campsite than a "Semi" (Tractor/trailer)
2: If something bad happens (I blew the engine in my motor home when an oil line got cut) you are STRANDED.. I was not. IF you are in a "NO SERVICE" phone area you are really stranded. (Again I was not but I have been) with a motor home.. I was not stranded because of the puppy behind it (The car that follows like a puppy). 
3: Several times I've been on the road in a pouring rain. Now I travel on the diabetic plan (NEVER pass TWO rest areas in a row, And often not even one) and with a trailer.. You gonna get WET!!  I don't.

and finally About 8 MPG towing, does not seem to matter.. perhaps 16=20 bobtail with the pickup.

20-40 depending on the model towed.  When going to church, store, attraction.

Back
Top Bottom