Anyone help identify these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graydude

I must admit being a bonehead when it comes to my my RV electrics.  I have 1998 Fleetwood Flair with the Ford 460 Chassis.  The coach is 20 years old and things are popping up as fast as I can fix.  But if something happens to the electrical side I'm doomed if I'm in the middle of nowhere.  Can anyone help identify these components and what they are used for?  I understand Number 3 is a Relay Delay Isolator but what the the heck is that?  I'm sure the right people can help many of us understand what we have going on with protons and neutrons.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• wiring1.jpg
    wiring1.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 148
It looks like a Battery Control Center.  My BCC has many of those components, but they put them in a nice little (and VERY OUT OF THE WAY) box.  At least those components are accessible!
I'm pretty sure #4 is the isolation relays to turn your chassis and house batteries on and off.  #2 I believe is the combiner relay to let you combine batteries to start the engine.

The relay delay isolator assures the chassis battery receives some charging before the alternator tackles charging the auxiliary battery.  It assures a drawn down auxiliary battery does not rob all the current from the alternator thus preventing the chassis battery from recovering from the power used when starting the motorhome.

#2 is your isolator relay. Connects the two battery banks together. #4 & #4 are your battery disconnect relays, controlled by the two rocker switches above the entrance door. Relays are manufactured by RV Custom Products. #1 & #1 are 30 amp manual resetable circuit breakers, in parallel, that feed your in house fuse panel. See the little reset buttons on the ends. #3 is a smart controller for your isolator relay. The little black cube relay is the ignition relay. It takes some of the load off the ignition switch.

Thanks for all the helpful replies!  I think I'm getting a handle on these components.  I understand the delay relay holds back charging the house batteries for awhile to let the start battery recover.  What regulates the charging of the starting and house batteries from the alternator ?  Do they just continue to charge at the same rate until they are both topped off?  What stops them from being over charged?

It really depends on the type of charging system you have. They vary. Our house batteries won't charge via the alternator until the BIM (Battery Isolation Manager) senses that the chassis batteries are nearly fully charged AND the house batteries are down to 80%. Other systems charge both battery banks whenever the engine is running. Others yet have a system called a BIRD (Bi-directional Isolation Relay Delay) which monitors the voltages of both battery banks and charges, or stops charging, when certain parameters are met.

Kev

Kev

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom