Slider Fifth Wheel Hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WeBRVing

Hi everyone, newbie here. I?m considering replacing my autosliding hitch with a manual slider. Reason being is I don?t make sharp turns often and when the hitch starts sliding back, the angle of attack changes so my angle backing up changes. Has started to become a pain in the you know what.
What manual slider do use and what are it?s qualities, both good or bad?
Thank you for your consideration.

Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for adding the sig line!

Please tell us a bit more about the truck.  Long bed? (8 ft)  Regular bed? (6 ? ft)  Have you EVER been close enough to hitting the cab that you feel a need for a slider?

If a long bed, a slider is really not needed.  With the reg bed and modern FW frontal design (rounded), a slider is rarely needed.  Several folks who have manual sliders have never needed them.  It is more IN CASE I need it.

You may well do fine with a "normal" fixed position hitch.

I have a Curt Q20 manual slider.  Have never HAD to use it, but it's there if I do have to.  I have not had an issue with it at all in the 7 years I've had it.  Well, other than it's heavy.  If you want to remove it, it is heavy.  The head comes apart from the main body, but that doesn't help much.  It's still heavy.  But I've otherwise had no problems, no issues.

The truck is a standard bed. Haven't come close, but the hitch slides automatically, so it's really a guess how close it would have been.

I would like it more for "just in case" insurance. The auto slider makes turning while backing a challenge since it moves the kingpin rearward, thereby increasing the angle
of the trailer.

5er does have scallops, although not real deep.

Thanks.

WeBRVing said:
The truck is a standard bed. Haven't come close, but the hitch slides automatically, so it's really a guess how close it would have been.

I would like it more for "just in case" insurance. The auto slider makes turning while backing a challenge since it moves the kingpin rearward, thereby increasing the angle
of the trailer.

5er does have scallops, although not real deep.

Thanks.

Here's a picture of mine.  I don't have a pic with the slide back...I've only used it a couple of times, and it was only to see if it still worked!

Attachments

• DSCN0553 (Medium).jpeg
    DSCN0553 (Medium).jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom