Hanging an Item on Slideout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coreylenz

Good Morning Everyone.  Just picked up our new travel trailer, and everything is put away.  A few years ago, my wife had a custom camper themed cribbage board made for me that has lived in the cupboards of our old rig.  It is an awesome board, and would love to display it while we aren't playing.  One spot jumped out at me is right in the middle of Slide Out frame (inside) above our table.  My plan would be to take two eye bolts and add to the cribbage board, and install two hooks on the slide out frame that I would hang the cribbage board.

I'm a little concerned about the board bouncing while traveling, and ripping the hooks out of the slide out.  Has anyone done anything like this?  I'd love your thoughts and inputs.  Thanks!!

I too would be very concerned about that. The contents of a trailer often bounce about wildly - few of them even have shock absorbers on the spring suspension.

You speak of the "slide out  frame" as if it had residential style wall studs, regularly spaced, but that would be rare. Most are simply a thin skinned box. Be very careful about locating a spot that has any sort of solid backing.

Thanks Gary.  I would be installing on the molding around the top and sides of the slide.  It looks almost like a crown molding setup.

Maybe stow it for travel and then hang it back up after you are set up? I know, an extra step, but no worry that way.

We've used the Command hook-and-loop picture hangers with success.  They don't require fastening into a frame member and have held pictures rather well.  Four strips hold 16 lbs.  Found in big-box and hardware stores, or on Amazon here: 

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=3m+command+strip+picture+hanging&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=224382464318&hvpos=1t2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17597788412191452491&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002324&hvtargid=kwd-378436088523&ref=pd_sl_6lm5ehskxd_b

(Sorry, the ability to hide URLs in text seems to have escaped me.)

I LOVE Cribbage!  I have a once around board my grandfather gave me 45+ years ago.

A few thoughts:
Take it down for travel.
Command hooks allow more choice on where to hang.
Velcro on the back may keep it in place on the wall when traveling, with or without wall hooks.

Well hop over to your favorite Home Improvement place. Lowes, HD, Mennards, Whoever and get one of the Mass Detector type STUD finders (They come in two flavors. Metal deterctors (My phone does that) and Mass Detectors (Please do not ask me how they work but they are supposed to find both WOOD and Nails)

Find the wood.  Lag into the wood..

Some of the wood on my RV feels good and sturdy.. I know it's likely 2x2 not 2x4 but when I ran some lag bolts ito it.. Man did I have to torque.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom