Unloading a T/C at a campsite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Broke Boater

How many of you Truck Campers take the Camper off the truck when you stay somewhere for more then a few days? I ask because we are headed up to the Siskiyou's next week to a small lake, staying 4 or 5 days. I'm taking my Boston Whaler with us to fish out of. The problem is that there is a marina with docks but won't open be for the season until the end of the month, and we won't be camped next to the shoreline to keep a eye on the boat tied up at night, I don't want to risk the electronics walking off in the middle of the night. So this would mean breaking camp to splash the boat every morning and loading back on the trailer each afternoon,, PITA,, or unload the camper at the campsite freeing up the truck. This camper is bigger and heavier then our old camper and I do store it on just the camper's electric jacks here at home. But camping out of it on jacks means there's a lot of movement from us living in it vs just sitting in the yard. Should I bring some cribbing or am I overthinking this,,,gregg

I'd bring some cribbing and lower the TC onto it to prevent the wobble when the camper is on the jacks.  But check with the campground and make sure it's OK to take the camper off the truck.  Some places require the camper to remain on wheels in case it has to be moved quickly for fire safety or due to zoning issues - a truck camper on the ground too closely resembles a shed or outbuilding.

I take my camper off the truck all the time,especially because it is much easier to launch my jet boat without the camper.I have one the largest campers made and I have no problems using just the jacks. I lower the camper as close to the ground as I can, with the nose up a little. My camper has 3 large slides and it there was any lack of stability, it would show up quickly.
My camper is very solid on the jacks as long as it is low to the ground.I have seen some people use "wobble stoppers". These attach to the camper body and then to the jacks, but I feel that they are not needed.

Good enough for me then, if a triple does it, then shall I. Plus, I was looking at the camper today, even low to the ground,  some cribbing would be a pain to haul all that extra around. We always plan trips to places with docks and leave the boat in the water during the trip, but with the marina closed, its plan B,,,gregg

I've camped on loads of lakes and rivers and oceans where fisherman have truck campers. Never ran into a campground that refused to let a truck camper set up their camper without the truck. Many do seem to have a boat too, and that's why they leave the camper at the site.

The reasoning that it takes too long to hook up seems silly. Many motorhomes and travel trailers are not ready to drive off in 3 minutes notice, everyone has work to do to get going even in an emergency.

Back
Top Bottom