Verizon is down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lou Schneider said:
It doesn't take a hacker to bring down our power or communications, our infrastructure has been neglected for so long it's collapsing on it's own.

Thanks Lou, I feel way better now ?

Well, that explains it. I'm in Lakeland like Rene. I tried to send a text reply last night from my phone and could never get it to send.
Or, when we finally had service it sent about 10 times. LOL

Larry N. said:
In the interest of saving money, the phone companies don't have the diversity in routing that they used to. 1/1/84 wasn't all good.

Add to that all major landline operators are federally mandated. Just wait til everything is IP Based.....

Molaker said:
The whole cell phone system is controlled by computers.  It would not surprise me to hear someday that an outage was caused by hackers.  The industry has to get better at protecting itself.

Slight correction, All Communication systems are controlled by computers, all central office switches are essentially computers albeit some are very early versions, UNIX based, to my knowledge there are no more mechanical switches in service today.

Verizon was just ordered to clean up their act in New York, where wireline infrastructure is in horrific condition. Hopefully a sign of positive change.

Back
Top Bottom