HOW DO YOU SEAL THE OPENINGS ON YOUR POPUP?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carone

We have a 2005 Fleetwood Niagara.  WONDERFUL popup.  My question, when you connect all the canvas, which is hooked on by velcro, there are always little openings in the corners.  How do you close them so bugs can't get in?

I bought a Motorhome and cured the problem.  Years ago I had 1 for a couple of years I don't think I ever got it to close up tight.

After I pop up, I stick some duct tape over the holes. Remove it before you pop down. You will be surprised how many little buggies get stuck on the tape!

I asked the same question last week and one of the anwers I got back was to put pieces of sponge into these openings.  This sounded, easy and practical and sponges don't weigh much. ;-) 

Also, I just got back from our first trip with the PUP.  We didn't fill up the gaps and there were lots of mosquitos, but none got in so I'm not sure if they openings are even an issue.

Try this, because a common mistake many people make with tent canvas is to try and pull it too tight. First, when you "pop up" do you attempt to run the cables as tight as they'll go ? If so, back them off a little to give the canvas more "slack" to reach he extent it has to to cover your openings. Many pop-ups have stabilizer rods that you install after cranking up to set the weight of the roof on and takes the tension off the cranking / cables system. Secondly, if your canvas "roof" poles have adjustments on them, back them off one hole or two again, to create more slack in canvas.

Pulling canvas as tight as possible to have a taut, tight trailer everytime you camp WILL wear out your canvas alot sooner than expected especially trying to cover around outside corners, etc.

Just a thought or two but have seen this problem in past.

Good luck and enjoy !!!!!!!

Enjoy your pop-up.  Each RV class has its plus and minus features....even the class A's.  If the velcro really are a bug problem the sponge idea sounds practical.  Several members of our family have pop-ups and have never commented on this.  There usual problem is kids running in and out and in and out and in and out and letting bugs in through the door opening.

Have a great summer.

Back
Top Bottom