HELP!!! I'm lost in the world of Solar Battery Chargers and Charge Controllers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nate in FL

To setup - My TT will be stored in a lot without power access for, on average, 3-4 weeks at a time. My TT does have a battery disconnect which I will turn to the "battery off" position during storage. I have come to the conclusion that a solar trickle charger would be best to ensure that I do not arrive to a dead battery every time I come to pack my TT.

After spending the last few days conducting my own research in an attempt to determine the best solar trickle charger and charger controller (if needed?) for my 12V TT house battery I have been unable to fully understand all of the battery lingo and am pretty lost. I am afraid that I am about to either buy too little or, more likely, spend way too much money buying way more than I need.

Is anyone able to reccomend a specific setup or maybe better explain what I need in "for dummies" langauge?

For reference I have attached an image of my house battery because I don't even feel confident full explaining it's capabilities. Thank you and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2025-2.jpg
    IMG_2025-2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 31
If your RV were going to be in the sun regularly, a small solar panel (50 to 100 watts) would keep a single battery charged fairly well, if it was disconnected from any loads. I don't believe a solar controller would be necessary, because the output of the solar panel would be fairly close to the rate at which the battery's voltage would drop when not on a charger. A cheap PWM controller would alleviate any chance of overcharging, if that were a concern.

Kev

Back
Top Bottom