FLorida Keys Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

I have reservations for 2 weeks in the Keys in May.

Looking for great restaurants and live music, prefer outdoors.

Any suggestions post Irma?

I was there last spring, but then Irma may have changed things a bit.

Thanks for the help!

I haven't been there since Irma however....
Bagatelle restaurant on Duval Street. Lobster Mac n Cheese. It came as an appetizer, we kept ordering more as they were incredible.
Alonzo's Oyster Bar, also Key West. Best Caprese Salad ever.
Blue Heaven Cafe for breakfast.
Just off the top of my head......

We are at Bahia Honda for 2 weeks.

Last year we were at John Pennekamp and we managed to zip up and down the key a few times because we were quite fond of the 7 Mile Grill in Marathon.

My friend used to work in the boat yard next door back in the 60's so he was thrilled to eat there 50 something years later.

Not so fond of Key West, but we will probably make a trek there. Last year we happened to hit it on a super hot day and I wasn't in much of a walking mood and we had no bikes with us but we had dog. So we are always interested in dog places so he doesn't wait so much in the rig.

On my friend's 70th birthday last year, we took the camper van out to a beach park bright and early so we could have super parking. We stayed all day celebrating.

We are leaving the 5th wheel home and taking the camper van. I sold my Class C. Last year we took the camper van with 2 humans and 1 dog. We broke camp often to go sight seeing. Last year we had to move every few days, this year, pure heaven, we got a spot for 14 nights so we can scatter our outside junk and then careen around.

Mostly we sightsee on bicycles with the dog riding in the front basket. That was oodles of fun and I got a super dark tan from bike riding. Had to travel with hat and extra icy water but so worth it.

The 7 Mile Grill is an all-time favorite of ours as well.  We kept a condo in Marathon for a dozen years and still have close friends there. Haven't been there in the last several years, though.

The No Name Pub (on No Name Key) is a classic if you like the funky old Keys vibe. It's sort of a tourist trap (, hey, it's the Keys!), but the food is always tasty (they used to be famous for their burgers) and lots of momento kinds of stuff available.
http://nonamepubestore.com/pub/

Thank you for the info!

The Keys were booked solid all winter so I thought maybe some forum members had managed to stay there.

Surprised at the scant few replies.

You are so lucky to have gotten a place in Bahia Honda. DW and I have been trying for the past couple of years to no avail. Her parents lived just South of there at mile marker 23 on Cudjo Key now living on Marco Island. Was it easier during the summer months to reserve?

ATTENTION: Bahia Honda State Park continues to recover from the aftermath of Hurricane Irma. The park is open for day-use visitation, and our Buttonwood and Bayside campground loops are re-open for overnight accommodations. Our Sandspur loop received the brunt of the storm damage, therefore, this loop is closed for an undetermined amount of time. We anticipate the earliest the Sandspur loop could re-open would be early 2019. Please check back to see any further updates as they become available.

I had to be on the site at all hours trying my luck then on opening time when the days open, then move like lightening to nail it down. It's really a chaotic system.

I booked before Irma hit then for months was on pins and needles wondering if it would open in time for our May reservations. They kept us in the dark with vague information.

DearMissMermaid said:
I have reservations for 2 weeks in the Keys in May.

Looking for great restaurants and live music, prefer outdoors.

Any suggestions post Irma?

I was there last spring, but then Irma may have changed things a bit.

Thanks for the help!

The keys are a big spread out place and each area has it's special places. If you travel up to Key Large, we love the tiki bars there for night life.

Make sure you feed the Tarpon at Robbie's of Islamorada. Great place to kill a few hours. My wife lost her bluetooth earphone there. Make sure everything is secure when feeding the tarpon :)

I don't even own a bluetooth.
I forget to carry my phone.
Facebook sends me emails they miss me.

Matter of fact, I am finishing up all my techno stuff before I go and refusing to touch a puter or smart anything while in the Keys.  ;D

None of that mixes well with ocean.

My hammock stand arrived today. It is going to the Keys, laptop is not.  ;)

For 2 weeks I want to pretend like I retired to Florida.  ::)

DearMissMermaid, I hope I can answer most of your questions as I have lived on Big Pine Key permanently since 1972.  The Keys overall took a tremendous hit from Irma, worse hit was Grassy Key south to Big Coppitt Key.  The eye went over CudJoe to Big Pine, with Big Pine Key taking the worst of what Irma could deliver.  We are slowly but surely recovering and trying to return to some kind of normalcy, some quicker than others as in most natural disasters.  Big Pine and some other areas are still a mess in certain areas, most people are still fighting with insurance companies if they were insured, others lost everything.  You will still see many roofs with blue tarps waiting to be repaired, we just received our metal two weeks ago.  Most of the lower Keys restaurants (not all) have reopened, as have most businesses.  Rents and prices of homes have gone up.  Bahia Honda is partially open with limited rv spaces.  Sunshine Key Campground is still closed and under complete construction installing all new electric, sewers, water to every site.  Knights Key in Marathon sold out and now they are constructing 3 story condo's where RV's once parked.  The Big Pine Fishing Lodge is open for RV's however their office and surrounding buildings are under construction.  The KOA on Sugarloaf Key is not open as of yet.  Boyd's Campground and the surrounding campgrounds on Stock Island are open and received minimal damage as did all of Key West.  Being on Bahia Honda you can travel north to Marathon for restaurants and all or most are open, Lazy Days on 11th Street ocean is one of my favorites, Burdines at end of 15th Street ocean, Stouts for B'fast/Lunch, Sharky's moved from Key Colony Beach to behind the Holiday Inn what was previously known as Tarpon Creek, across from The Island which is also open.  South from Bahia Honda on Big Pine Key you have Paradise Burgers (new) where Springers used to be, Milagro (new) where Bistro 31 used to be, Cracked Egg open, Buck Tooth Rooster where the previous known Big Pine Restaurant was is also back open.  Kiki's Sandbar on Little Torch Key back open, Square Grouper (one of my favorites) and on the second story My New Joint both open, Mangrove Mama's on Sugarloaf also open.  Since you said you are not into the Key West scene I will leave it there.  Come down and help support all the businesses you can, they and their employees will thank you.  On the flip side be careful and patient on the road, this year so far we are seeing tragic accidents that tie up the highway for hours on end almost daily, more so than in previous years.  Enjoy!

Just saw reports of a brush fire on Big Pine Key 

There is a brushfire on Big Pine Key. It is fast moving from the Sands area toward Key Deer Boulevard.
Anyone who sees smoke or fire should evacuant.
Fire crews from Key West to Miami Metro Dade are responding along with the Department of Forestry.  copied for Monroe County BOCC

Thanks for all the useful info!

We may do Key West by day, we have small 6 pound dog traveling with us, so we have to factor in him too as we will be in van camper as our car. But we have generator and AC for him.

Mostly we try to go places where he can go too.

We hope to do some bicycle touring, but he rides on my bike as he loves that too.  8)

catblaster said:
    Just saw reports of a brush fire on Big Pine Key 

There is a brushfire on Big Pine Key. It is fast moving from the Sands area toward Key Deer Boulevard.
Anyone who sees smoke or fire should evacuant.
Fire crews from Key West to Miami Metro Dade are responding along with the Department of Forestry.  copied for Monroe County BOCC

Yes Catblaster we did have a quite sizable wild fire on the island, 100+ acres burned in addition to one long time resident's home being lost, it could have been much worse but thanks to the Man above along with every fire department within 150 miles including a UH-60 helicopter with water bucket they were able to get control of it and do what they do best.  It was a scary event for a lot of people especially so close behind Hurricane Irma.  We are thankful that no emergency personnel were hurt or killed or for that matter anyone else during this wildfire event.  I see you have an airboat and live in the Kissimmee area, we along with our son have airboats and ride the Kissimmee Chain of Lakes in addition to the St. John's River (SR50 area) frequently.  I will try to reach out to you before we plan a trip to the Marsh.

Big Piner said:
Yes Catblaster we did have a quite sizable wild fire on the island, 100+ acres burned in addition to one long time resident's home being lost, it could have been much worse but thanks to the Man above along with every fire department within 150 miles including a UH-60 helicopter with water bucket they were able to get control of it and do what they do best.  It was a scary event for a lot of people especially so close behind Hurricane Irma.  We are thankful that no emergency personnel were hurt or killed or for that matter anyone else during this wildfire event.  I see you have an airboat and live in the Kissimmee area, we along with our son have airboats and ride the Kissimmee Chain of Lakes in addition to the St. John's River (SR50 area) frequently.  I will try to reach out to you before we plan a trip to the Marsh.

Glad no one was hurt !! Send me a note, I live on the water near East Lake Tohopekaliga.

That's awful about the fire!

I am coming to the Keys in a few days.  ;D

I was looking at the cruise ship schedule and it appears no cruise ships are in Key West on Wednesdays, so I am hoping to see more of Key West this time, thinking Wednesdays might be a better time if we can find parking.  8)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom