Verizon Hum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudshark

Hi All
Just got beck from the local Verizon store where we were getting our new phone straightened out.
Salesman found out we are leaving in 6 weeks in our Class A, He mentioned their Verizon Hum unit. We never heard anything about it but it sounds pretty cool.
Anyone have this in their RV? Is this something to look seriously at?
Advantages?? Drawbacks??
Thanks
Jim & Jan

It plugs in to the car's OBD connector and appears to be a competitor to the AT&T Mobley but actually uses some of the car's computer data to report things such as a low battery. With a cursory look I wasn't able to find pricing info on the version with data

https://www.hum.com/

There appears to be 3 packages.  The lowest level is just a free app that doesn't appear to offer much more than you can get from Google Navigation.  The middle tier offers some features that could be useful, but the OBD II interface may not be compatible with some MH's.  The highest tier is an attempt to sell you a mobile hotspot, about what you could achieve by taking your MiFi along for the ride or turning you phone on in hotspot mode.  Only this third level is a competitor with the Mobley; the second tier has no hotspot.

I have Hum on my company truck. I initially signed up for the Hum as another device as we were on the breaking point for multiple device discount. The uneducated salesperson assured me that it would work on my diesel pusher --- NOT!!! So instead of returning the Hum I installed it on the company pickup. Scares the hell out of the 2 younger guys that do deliveries for me.
Hum can monitor the OBDII port and sends you reports and notices when things aren't right with the systems. You can also set speed and distance limits. If either have been exceeded Hum will notify you via email or I think texts.
Hum has been beneficial in that it gives me warnings when the battery is on the edge of needing a charge.

It was a deal for my business, but I don't know if I would invest if the discount wasn't present.

Corky

I have both the Hum and the Delphi installed on my Jeep Commanders.

I originally bought the Delphi to use on my DP as an inexpensive tracking device in case it was stolen.  The DP does not have an OBD port so instead I put in one of my Jeeps.  Later I got a Hum for the other Jeep.

They both have similar functions.  They are WiFi hotspots, tracking devices, reporting devices with such data as battery state, fuel levels, and many other data points.

They also give lots of information on trips, distances, current location, excessive speed, as well as alerts emailed to you.

The Hum has additional features including a speaker that works like OnStar.

You can use both on your smart phone.

I got mine thru Verizon far about $5 a month for each as I recall.

You can certainly always find your car with it but not you DP unless it has an OBD port,

Our salesman said there is a one time set up fee of $40.
After that no cost.

mudshark said:
Our salesman said there is a one time set up fee of $40.
After that no cost.

According to the Hum website, the middle tier plan is $10/mo.  I have no idea what the 3rd tier plan with hotspot is, but it has be to more than $10/mo. Only the base level is free.  Don't believe everything sales people tell you.  8)

I?m interested in that too. Also, maybe I misread it but I noticed a discrepancy- in one place the site said if you were in a 3G area it would just slow down. In another area it said 4G was required.

We looked at Hum as a replacement for current Hotspot. Salesman was honest ( I know hard to believe.) and told us it is really only to be used for a reguler vehicle, not RV. He said that it could really only be used in RV as Hotspot and not all the other features it is designed to do. Since Sheryl uses Hotspot daily to remote into work, we just are sticking with the Hotspot.

Gas RV's have the same OBDII setup as passenger cars and light trucks, so the HUMx would certainly work ok in one. Diesel RV's may have a different arrangement that won't work as well for engine performance data though.

NY_Dutch said:
Diesel RV's may have a different arrangement that won't work as well for engine performance data though.

But... if the hotspot deal is good, one may not care about the performance data

Sun2Retire said:
But... if the hotspot deal is good, one may not care about the performance data

Oh, I absolutely agree... If the HUMx data plan is anywhere close to the unlimited data plan I have with the Mobley, it would be a good alternative. The hotspot part might even work well with the same power adapters we use with the Mobley.

NY_Dutch said:
How much 4G/LTE data does the hotspot version get with the $15/mo 3rd tier plan?

From what I have found, it appears that the 3rd tier plan comes with NO data plan.  You have to buy that yourself as an extra.  The Hum is just another device that has to be activated on your Verizon account.  Big whoop!

This is a quote from the Hum website:

WI-FI HOTSPOT: The Wi-Fi Hotspot feature is only available with Humx premium Service and allows you to connect up to ten (10) devices at one time. Your use of the Wi-Fi Hotspot is subject to Verizon Wireless' data use policies, which are available at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/vz-email-legal/. You are not required to purchase a Verizon Wireless data plan to purchase the Humx System or Service, but we recommend purchase of a data plan to support use of the Wi-Fi Hotspot. You can control access to your Humx Wi-Fi Hotspot using the Mobile App.

This paragraph can be found in context here: https://www.hum.com/terms-of-service

docj said:
From what I have found, it appears that the 3rd tier plan comes with NO data plan.  You have to buy that yourself as an extra.

And, with apologies to Paul Harvey, the rest of the story.

Sun2Retire said:
And, with apologies to Paul Harvey, the rest of the story.

Yep, and a very good reason for sticking with my Mobley/Connected Car unlimited plan. There are a number of other ODBII Bluetooth readers available at lower cost.

Back
Top Bottom