Ok. I'm calling out Mother Nature!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alpena Jeff

After 6 great weeks in Florida we had to get back home for a long standing family commitment.
We got here last Sunday. I had to phone a friend to plow the 12 inches of snow in my driveway.
Overnight we got hit with with 14in with a possible 20 more over the next 2 days, freezing rain included.
This is unusual for us even up here.
Oh yea. Lost power overnight for 6 hours. Good thing I burn wood.
Not complaining, we chose to live here. In fact we love it here. But cmon. It's mid April!
I feel better. Sorry to rant on y'all.

We reached our Adirondack cottage a couple of days before Easter so we could spend it with our family in the area. We have a fellow that plows the access road and car parking area for us during the winter, but he doesn't plow our motorhome pad since we don't expect anyone to park there. Fortunately, one of our daughters brought her snow blower over and cleared the 10" of snow from the pad the day before we arrived, so we were all set when we got there. But then we've had alternating semi-warm and cold, snowy weather ever since. We had a windstorm last week that brought down a neighbor's tree taking the primary and secondary power lines, phone, and cable with it, including snapping two poles. Three days later the power company replaced the poles and restored power, and the cable was repaired the following day. We don't use the landline phone service, but those lines are still hanging from ropes tied to trees where the power company put them to get them out of the road. Fortunately for us, since we stay in the motorhome here anyway, we just fired up the generator and carried on as usual. I ran an extension cord to the cottage to run the gas furnace and freezer in there, so it was all good. I do agree with you though, it's mid April! Where's that warmer weather we normally see by now???

Oh, and I did get one good laugh out of it though. When I called the cable company to report our service drop was down, I had told the tech support rep that the broken wire was laying coiled up on the ground, and his response was, "Have you tried turning your modem off and on?" I gave up and told him, "Yes, it didn't help..."  ::) ;D

It is horrible here in SE Texas.  Every time the pool gets close to jumping into, the temperature plunges again!  These Arctic cold fronts that keep dropping the temps to a freezing 50 degrees at night and mid 70's during the day gotta stop!!

I feel your pain Jeff. I was so uncomfortable at my niece's birthday party today, that I had to drive back home and change into shorts. It was only supposed to get up to 85, but it hit 92!

Kev

Kevin Means said:
I feel your pain Jeff. I was so uncomfortable at my niece's birthday party today, that I had to drive back home and change into shorts. It was only supposed to get up to 85, but it hit 92!

Kev
I'm sorry about your pain Kev. Hopefully things will stabilize and make y'all more comfortable.
$&@$(-
8)

As you can see Jeff, we?re all feeling your pain. The glare from the sun when I just took this shot was nearly unbearable - I really had to squint ??

Attachments

• 2248B0B1-E56D-47EE-A726-C0FDB702C0BF.jpeg
    2248B0B1-E56D-47EE-A726-C0FDB702C0BF.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 24
We were suppose to leave this morning for NH. Saw the extended weather 2 days ago and saw heavy rain and storms up the east coast and getting near home, was freezing rain and ice. We decided to stay till next Friday morning. It was really bad here today like Catblaster said. 89 degrees. Had to run the AC all day.

They are in the middle of a blizzard up in Minnesota, so bad they finally pulled the plows off the road cause they cant keep up. With everyone posting all their blizzard pictures on facebook, I thought I was starting to feel the cold myself. Then I realized my windows were open.

Rene T said:
We were suppose to leave this morning for NH. Saw the extended weather 2 days ago and saw heavy rain and storms up the east coast and getting near home, was freezing rain and ice. We decided to stay till next Friday morning. It was really bad here today like Catblaster said. 89 degrees. Had to run the AC all day.
That sucks Rene. Hang in there.

cadee2c said:
They are in the middle of a blizzard up in Minnesota, so bad they finally pulled the plows off the road cause they cant keep up. With everyone posting all their blizzard pictures on facebook, I thought I was starting to feel the cold myself. Then I realized my windows were open.
It's bad up here. For this time of year.....my coach is in the driveway buried in snow..
The things you do for family.

Early January next year heading west. We want to meet as many of you as possible. Kevin's pics of KOFA grabbed me. Need to see that.
I'll post another topic looking for where to stay out there.

Alpena Jeff said:
This is unusual for us even up here... cmon. It's mid April!

I'm with you, friend.  This has been a "real winter" in the Midwest, not really for snowfall totals (although there have been some), but for this cold weather that just will NOT go away!  I have never thought seriously about moving South (and not necessarily waiting until retirement) until this year.  2-3 days ago we hit 70 degrees briefly in Illinois, and that's the first time we went that high since probably September.  Now it's 40's and cold raining again, and as you mentioned northern areas are getting another snow blast.  Make it stop!  Bring on RV season!!

NY_Dutch said:
I had told the tech support rep that the broken wire was laying coiled up on the ground, and his response was, "Have you tried turning your modem off and on?" I gave up and told him, "Yes, it didn't help..."  ::) ;D

I've found that if your response is not in their pre-scripted solutions, then you will not be getting anywhere with the networking "tech support" these days.  I usually try to figure out where they're from (as in what country) from the accent, but sometimes it's difficult to tell.  I know not ALL call centers are in India, but I saw a documentary once that showed Indian call center employees (which is a fairly respected career there) taking classes on how to speak using American-ish accents and terminology.  It was interesting.

Sorry to hear of your dilemma, Jeff. That's why we decided to do things backwards and buy a home down here in Florida and use the coach to get away from the heat in the summer by going up north and visiting someplace new every year. I guess we're sunbirds instead of snowbirds. But you'll get even with us in a couple of days when we have a cold front push through the Fort Myers area that will drop the temps down to 58 at night and only get up to 78 on Monday.

I just surveyed the driveway.
15" of new snow with more on the way. The high winds created 4' drifts in front of the garage door. The MH is buried. About as month ago we were picking lemons and oranges at our RV site in AZ.
I'm having a couple of Roggenbier homebrews to cope.......... ::)

Kevin Means said:

Kev
The good news is our lake is still frozen, waiting for daylight, going to punch a few holes and do some fishing. Round 2 of this storm rolls in shortly so I need to get er done early.
It's not all bad! 8)

Back
Top Bottom