Serpetine Belt for 5.9 Cummings - 2002 Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Top38

I like to have a spare belt with me so I tried to get the numbers of the old belt but I can't see any so how do I fine the right belt for this coach? thanks

If you do not know how old it is then this is what I would do.

Take the belt off.  It should not be that hard to do.

Take it to any good Auto Parts store like NAPA.  They will measure it or get the numbers off it.

Put the new belt on the coach and keep the old one for a spare.

You will feel safer about the new belt and still have the old one in case it breaks as a spare.

That is just how I would handle it.

I wonder if Freightliner might have a build sheet for your particular chassis? I don't know if that belt is unique to the Cummins in your chassis build or if it's a generic belt for a generic 5.9 Cummins.

As per Bill's advice. that is exactly what I did, and as luck would have it, I never needed to use it, but it was sure cheap insurance.

Ed

I also took a picture before removal to make it easier to reinstall. Plus I keep the proper sized breaker bar and socket (used on the tensioner) with the spare so I don?t have to go looking by the side of the road. Like Ed, I?ve never needed it. (Also keep a spare genset belt.)

I drew up a diagram of the belt so there would ne no confusion putting a new one on! The only pia with taking it off is the AC belt is on the outside and accessing that is tuffer, under the bed.

I found a diagram from a web site that matches exactly, the Dayco number is 5080655.

Both belts look good,,, I was hoping someone with the same engine would have a number to confirm what I found.. Also it's 65 7/8" long.

Top38 said:
....The only pia with taking it off is the AC belt is on the outside and accessing that is tuffer, under the bed.....
That's one of the major service headaches with a rear radiator engine - all you see looking at the engine from the outside is radiator.

I called Freightliner and they asked for the last 6 of the VIN number and gave me a part number for bot belts, Serpentine 3099256 and the AC is GT 17412E.

Any reason that you can see why Winnebago would change things around from Freightliner after they get the chassis?

Top38 said:
.....Any reason that you can see why Winnebago would change things around from Freightliner after they get the chassis?
I seriously doubt that Winnebago would have changed anything around the engine. I think you can trust Freightliner.

Im in Myrtle Beach presently but lost my serpentine belt on the way down.
A/C compressor seized on Hwy 15 in the Susquehana and ended up being towed 75 miles to Gettysburg.

Dealt with a fellow there who came out on Sunday and boy did he have to work.
Bolts holding compressor on were seized and had to be snapped off.
Still couldnt pry compressor off because bolts siezed into compressor housing. Had to get air chisel and destroy compressor to remove.
One day to get new part and back on road but I am stopping back to Gettysburg on way home to get new A/C fittings pressed onto lines , connected up, evacuated and recharged.

Even if I could have fixed myself on the road, I doubt that I could have manipulated the tensioner myself to get the belt installed. That was a bear, Mechanic under coach with special tool and me hanging into engine compartment through closet.

Hope I never have to do that again, but thank goodness I dealt with this mechanic.

Excellent fellow.

Our AC compressor went leaky three or four years ago, maybe that was a blessing in disguise since we got a new one in a controlled situation. I've carried a spare serpentine belt for years and years but I have it replaced every five or six years.  Hopefully I'll never break one on the road.

Back
Top Bottom