Generators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjansen

Have any of you powered your sound equipment with generators?  I have the Honda EU 2000 and am wondered if the inverter style will be okay to use with sound equipment and not damage the sound system.

The Honda EUs output a pure sine wave.  That's supposed to be best for electronic equipment.

I came across this related thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/talk-to-me-about-pure-sine-inverter-generators-that-work-with-harmans.123836/

Cheers,

Dan K.

You'll be fine.  The Honda EU series puts out cleaner, more stable power than you'll get out of a typical AC outlet.  I've used my little Honda EU1000i to run sound systems at the Escapees' Escapades, and it works fine.

The generators you need to watch out for are the conventional open frame, fixed speed construction site generators.  They're OK for running power tools but I tried to use one to run a transmitter site once and while it worked, the waveform it produced was incredibly dirty.  Lots of switching spikes and a flattening of the waveform peaks due to undersized iron in the generator.

I power everything with two honda generators.  Lighting, effects, recording equipment, instrument amps, A Yamaha PA system, A Bose sound system on another stage.  Nothing has ever so much as hiccuped.  One of the generators (the one most used) is an OLD EM 850.  The other is a 2000i.  Both are flawless.

Back
Top Bottom