TT Ground Clearance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlmgcamp

I am looking to step up from pop-up to TT.  One thing that I have noticed over the last 5-10 years is that TT's sit much higher than they did years ago.  This would seem to cause a bunch of undesirable issues: Less stable in X-winds, more wind resistance when towing, need for taller stabilizer jacks, need to carry more blocks for stabilizer jacks that don't reach, going from an entry step to entry stairs, more issues with trees, etc.  Can anybody tell me what all this was traded for when they made TT's sit like monster trucks?

I can only speak from my own experience.  I have a 2011 Layton Retro 14' TT.  Over the course of the first few years I owned it, I damaged the entry stairs and the black water dump by dragging them on the ground, which is easy to do on Forest Service roads out here in Colorado.

Two years ago I had a local shop do the axle-flip for me.  This raised the entire unit about 5 or 6 inches higher.  I have not noticed any difference in how the trailer tows.  Doesn't sway any more than it ever did, which is basically not at all.  I have an anti-sway bar, but even though I always carry it with me, I haven't used it since the first year I bought the trailer.

Even in side winds on the open interstate, it feels the same as it always has. Of course, it is a short TT, so the side wind load is much less that some 40' fifth wheel.

Cheers,

Dan K.

well, in my case, i had no choice but to lift my 22ft Fleetwood wilderness. reason : the oem drop down axles were not around when the time came to replace them, because the brakes were shot, bearings were shot, leaf springs were shot, shackles were shot, pretty much both 2200 lb axles were bad. what i found was, complete 3500 lb, elec brake, straight axles, prefect width for less money than it would have been to have drop down axles made to fit !. i gained 3 inch lift, no difference in towing, other than being very careful around low branches ?..lol. x wind did not change, for a roughly 4200 lb empty trailer , it handles great. another good thing i like about gaining 3 inches ?, is my septic tank drain valves are higher off the gorund, which means, no worrying about ripping them off when pulling into steep drives to gas stations and such, also..less likely to puncher my gray and black tanks. all in all, i am happy i got my trailer 3 inchers higher.

I have a?1996 trailer that sits low.  only 10 foot tall with ac.    but it scraped bottom all the time  wish it was taller

tlmgcamp said:
This would seem to cause a bunch of undesirable issues: Less stable in X-winds, more wind resistance when towing, need for taller stabilizer jacks, need to carry more blocks for stabilizer jacks that don't reach, going from an entry step to entry stairs, more issues with trees, etc.

Our 2nd TT was about 6" to 8" higher than the 1st.

• Less stable in X-winds, more wind resistance when towing, - did not experience any issues - just make sure your weight distributing hitch is set up properly and your truck can handle the weight.
  • need for taller stabilizer jacks, need to carry more blocks for stabilizer jacks that don't reach, - yes, I did carry more wood blocks so the jacks would not have to crank down as much. I combined the wood blocks with those plastic blocks since they are so much lighter. I did find the TT shook more so I also got a set of X-chocks for the tires.
  • going from an entry step to entry stairs, - true but many also come with a larger grab handle so unless you have trouble with stairs, this is not really an issue to me.
  • more issues with trees - a possible problem but we never had any troubles.

tlmgcamp said:
Can anybody tell me what all this was traded for when they made TT's sit like monster trucks?

This is just my guess but I think it allowed the mechanical ability for larger slides and possibly multiple slides.

Another advantage of the higher units is that you do not have wheel wells protruding into the living area of the trailer. The whole trailer floor sits above the wheels. This also allows slides that don't have to have a big groove in them to clear the tires. :)

For me, however, the increased height means that the back of my 30 foot trailer does not drag on driveways coming out of gas stations.

Our arctic fox trailer is on the heavy side, so I have no problems with crosswind stability.

Frank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom