Leaving RV parked at designated location for emergency trip home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gaylemike

I guess this would be called a fishing expo but I'm going to ask anyway. Back in the 70's-90's when my family had 2 earlier MH's and it's experience, I had heard of some RV'ers leaving their RVs at a designated location to make a rush trip home for emergency and not having to take the RV back. One family had 3 weeks vacation,  had just arrived at their vacation spot 900 miles away, and found about a death in the family that they needed to go to the funeral. They left their RV where they parked it and drove 16 hours back in their toad to their home, took care of business, funeral and all and then 16 hours back leaving their RV for a week where it was parked. Another family from Fla was in Calif and flew back to Fla on an emergency trip. My question is.....Since I've been out of RV'ing for 20 years or so, what is the preference of if something like that were to happen and we wanted to return to the RV to continue our excursion/trip/vacation. I know that spaces fill up quicker now and that RV dealers probably wouldn't want you to leave your RV for liability purposes unattended. Just trying to see about all around reasons for not driving the RV back when we were going to continue the trip anyway. Any ideas???  Thanks for all your input.

Mike

Over the years camp hosting we have had several cases of this happening.  In all cases they just let us know and left.  Its their rented spot so its no big deal.  We usually keep an eye open on their site for them.

I have heard that some parks have storage that might be a little cheaper than a site but you would have to worry about no electric for the refrigerator.

Robin

Roadhappy said:
I have heard that some parks have storage that might be a little cheaper than a site but you would have to worry about no electric for the refrigerator.

Robin
donn said:
Over the years camp hosting we have had several cases of this happening.  In all cases they just let us know and left.  Its their rented spot so its no big deal.  We usually keep an eye open on their site for them.

Either/Or ? Most parks are very accommodating when it comes these situations. State and Federal parks may be a little tighter on the Rules.. but have a local remedy for it in their SOP ?

I've seen it happen.. there is always a fix.

I've left my RV a couple of times to travel without it.  The first time the park I'd checked into had a storage lot and I was able to move it there when I left, then returned to a regular space for a couple of days when I returned.

Another time I found a local RV storage place and left it there for a month.  They signed me up when I took the trailer there and I was parked and on my way in less than an hour.

As far as prepping the RV, for the week trip I made sure the trailer was level in the storage space and left the refrigerator running on propane while I was gone.  For the month long trip I emptied the fridge and left it off.

Other prep was basically to dump and flush the waste tanks and to make sure everything else was off.

We were in Michigan once and needed to make an unexpected trip to Florida.  We just kept it plugged in at the site and did our usual lockup before leaving.  It worked quite well.  As someone mentioned in another discussion, many campgrounds have seasonal customers who leave their RV there for the summer, returning to use it each weekend.  Just make sure you have full propane so it doesn't run out and you should be okay.

ArdraF

I have had friends leave their M/H parked at my residence for a month to avoid the expense of driving it to the home base, then a week later coming back to the same general area for another activity.>>>Dan

You can also park your motorhome and toad at many airports for up to a month while you fly home and then come back.  I have done this several times.  The longest was 8 days in Las Vegas when it was cool and Salt Lake City during some really hot weather.  My refrigerator and freezer were still keeping things cool when I got back both times.  Also left RV in Orlando.  Rate was $9-$15 per day.  You need to call the airport parking people and find out where their oversized parking area is located. 

I am headed to the UK soon for 6 weeks and have arranged storage at a lot near my son's house. 

Lots of folks leave their rigs unattended to go travel elsewhere without it.

In Florida many leave their RV to go on cruises for a week or more and come back to everything fine.

In 8 years there was only one campground I went to that had a strange rule of overnight occupancy required.

Honestly most parks are so busy, no one would notice if you are coming or going or absent if your rent is all paid up.

I lugged my Fifth wheel from the dealer to an RV park in FL in Mid-November and stayed for a week.  I left after Thanksgiving to go home, and take care of business as it was too early yet to leave MN.

I went back down in early January.  The RV was still on my spot, just waiting to be plugged in and the slides to be put back out.  Since the RV Resort was not full, they did not even charge me for that time period.

Back
Top Bottom