Flooring Upgrade - Questions As I Go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drisley

I'm in the process of reflooring the RV. Already pulled out most of the carpet and the laminate flooring which was in place. Aside from a couple spots, I'm down to the subfloor so I'm beginning the next phase.

Right now, I'm thinking of using Smartcore vinyl planks from Lowes. The stuff is 5.5mm thick. I've used it before to redo my home office and it is a nice product.

But, what about underlayment? What's best for an RV?

In my office, I used a foam-type underlayment mainly to give the floor a softer feel and reduce the click sounds. Would that kind of thing be suitable for a motorhome? The flooring I ripped up had luan plywood underlayment. Would that be better? Also, I know many people just put planks straight down on the subfloor, but I want to ensure moisture protection. Plus, I want the height of the planks to be adequate so that it pairs up well with the carpet I'll still have in a few spots (back bedroom, driving area).

Secondly...

There are a few areas on the edges with rotted subfloor due to previous water entry. I believe the problem has long since been fixed, however the rot is still there. A few rotted areas extending out from the sidewalls maybe 8 inches or so. My plan is to cut it out to make nice, square holes in the subfloor and then drop in new wood. Not sure yet if I'm going to buy a whole sheet of plywood for this, seeing as the amount of repair is actually rather small. May try to find smaller pieces of the right thickness. Anyway...

How do I attach new subfloor material to the surface below it?

Right now, seems like an insulation barrier there. Don't know what's below it.

Thanks. :) Never done anything like this before, but it's rewarding figuring it out.

Back
Top Bottom